Chuck plus live center? Also a pic of my Sherline

"Like spin up the three jaw chuck without tightening it down? "

...better than leaving the chuck wrench in!:nono:

Thank you, gentlemen. The steady rest was going to cause me to waste material.

Also, can I add mini sealed bearings to the tip of my steady rest arms? Seems like that would be a better setup than the bare brass/bronze tips. I can always flip the arms around if the size is too big or small.

Let me know if you need little ball bearings for that. I got a whole lotta them, taking up (thankfully) not too much space. Unfortunately, they're metric bores/sizes, but I get 'em for free. Good score on the Sherline! They're darn capable little lathes, and once you get a bigger one, the scraps from the big lathe become stock for the little lathe. :)

PM me if you need bearings. I got *plenty* of 'em!

Nice! Reminds me of Pete Gray's stuff. Good to see someone here with the same interests as me. I'm currently sporting a Tom Andersom Ti trit fob but I have my own Ti trit fobs on my list of projects to do. You on USN, CPF, etc?

Nice! Reminds me of Pete Gray's stuff. Good to see someone here with the same interests as me. I'm currently sporting a Tom Andersom Ti trit fob but I have my own Ti trit fobs on my list of projects to do. You on USN, CPF, etc?
Thank you. I'm pretty new with the edc stuff. If it's all half a useful as the glowing keyring, count me in.

Like spin up the three jaw chuck without tightening it down? I stopped it maybe 10 seconds before happy fun time. I am now reading books and asking questions.

Thank you for your help!

I forgot to toghten my er collet chuck today, bahh their i said it :)

stuart

Thank you, gentlemen. The steady rest was going to cause me to waste material.

Also, can I add mini sealed bearings to the tip of my steady rest arms? Seems like that would be a better setup than the bare brass/bronze tips. I can always flip the arms around if the size is too big or small.

The only problem that I have ever experienced when using rollers in a steady/follow rest is keeping the chips out. Solid fingers do not let the chips in, rollers eat them. I had a rather large chip get between the rollers and the part on a 24 x 96 lathe, it broke the casting on the upper half of the steady and ruined the part as well. Since then, 1993 or so, I put a cardboard or whatever material is handy chip guard between the steady/follow rest and the tool. I often rough large lathe parts at .125-.200 DOC so the chips are substantial, yet a small chip will ruin your day.

I can not stress this enough, do not let chips get between the roller bearings and part in a steady rest.

Back