chop saw for metal cutting question

That is a good safety tip all around for us that work with metals. I recently sat through a safety seminar for a 3-T MRI that was installed in a hospital I do a little work for, and they were very emphatic about any metals in our bodies being known before undergoing an MRI. The magnetic field generated during testing is strong enough to non-surgically remove nearly any of them, but of course most dangerous are the ferrous materials. I was impressed working around the machine even when not energized. Have to be very careful not to bring anything magnetic inside the safety zone, which is several feet around the coil itself. In fact, the installers recommend no one even go into the procedure room with anything metallic. I needed an aluminum ladder, and had to do some sooth talking. After seeing the results of some of the metallic object that were drawn into a coil, I was pretty wary even outside the circle, with aluminum. It's not just chop saws that can get metals in our eyes. Wear your PPE!

on the side topic of toxic metals, I was told (by a stainless steel pot salesman at a garden show) that when teflon pans lose their teflon and the aluminum shows, the aluminum can be toxic to your body. He demonstrated with some tomatoes (acidic), showing the black color from the alumimum. Of course he was trying to sell those $1000 set pans so I'm not so sure about the toxicity.

Anyway, I do my work outside and ensure there's no wind or light wind blowing in another direction. However, the Bernouli affect can cause low pressure to develop around your body (like an eddy in a stream) so that even wind blowing away from you will circulate back in your face.

Last edited:
Hi...

I think the salesman was a little misguided... It's the teflon, not the aluminum, that's toxic. I happen to have some birds as pets (African Greys and Conures) and it's common knowledge among bird owners that if you cook the teflon off a pan to the point it peels and smokes, it will kill your birds. It's the first thing a vetenarian will tell a new bird owner. Granted, birds are more sensitive to smoke toxicity than many other animals but, it's a known toxin that can effect humans too. Aluminum just melts. Teflon goes through a chemical transformation and is toxic.

Ray

on the side topic of toxic metals, I was told (by a stainless steel pot salesman at a garden show) that when teflon pans lose their teflon and the aluminum shows, the aluminum can be toxic to your body. He demonstrated with some tomatoes (acidic), showing the black color from the alumimum. Of course he was trying to sell those $1000 set pans so I'm not so sure about the toxicity.

Anyway, I do my work outside and ensure there's no wind or light wind blowing in another direction. However, the Bernouli affect can cause low pressure to develop around your body (like an eddy in a stream) so that even wind blowing away from you will circulate back in your face.

I have a power Hacksaw that I used for 35 years and it cuts great. Holds size cuts square and does it fast.

I had a bandsaw and it was alright but time wise there is no comparison. I stayed away from chop saws because they are(IMO) messy and dangerous.
BUT I also had a small horizontal mill in which I could mount a saw and use a stop and cut off parts within .0001" I actually got cut off work from other shops because it saved them facing and Deburring operations on large orders.
The mill also came in handy to do other jobs.

Last edited:
thanks everyone. I just placed an order for the 3.5 HP metal chopsaw from HF for $99 and 5 extra 14" cutoff wheels. Feels like Christmas in April!

I've got a chopsaw... Good thing to have and gets occasional use. Be aware that disks/blades make all the difference in the world. Cheap disks wear down in no time and require a lot of pressure. Sadly, the ones from HF are at the low end of the scale. The ones with the trade-name "zircon" are the best. I believe DeWalt is one of the many brands that use that material. Your first reaction might be to get the cheapest ones but, I've learned the hard way, they just don't last long aren't worth it in the long run.

Ray

thanks everyone. I just placed an order for the 3.5 HP metal chopsaw from HF for $99 and 5 extra 14" cutoff wheels. Feels like Christmas in April!

well, guess I just wasted $17 on the 5 disks. I assume they only are for cutting ferrous metals?

Had a 14" HF which expired after 6 mo of hobby use

Set up on my bench, is the Swag Off Rd porta band set up. Love this set up, my go to tool for everything.

Also have a cold saw. The Evolution Rage Saw cuts great as advertised. I can cut (angles) & weld immediately. blades can be re sharpened $20.00, but expensive when need to replace $100.00. Just replaced mine, I failed to clamp work tight enough, came loose then tore up the carbide tips. could have been fixed, but it was the cheepo blade that came with the saw. My sharpening guy said this blade has many sharpening s prior to replacement
This saw cut metal like butter. I cut mostly tube & lite gage steel. Nice saw. I d buy it again
My2c

My chop saw is 15 years old. When new, lasted one year, then I had to repair/fix
the pivot/block.

Some chunky steel, along with beefy arc welds.

repair chopsaw.jpg

I just purchased this last night off ebay ( Northern Tool ) for $139 shipped.

Kawasakicutoffsaw.jpg

14" , 15 amp and a three year warranty

Kawasakicutoffsaw.jpg

Kawasakicutoffsaw.jpg

Back