chop saw for metal cutting question

SE18

Active User
Registered
I was looking at bandsaws, like Harbor freight 4x6, but then saw the HF chopsaw with 14" cutting disk and vise, and 3.5 HP motor for $99 (discounted)

Has anyone used one for cutting 1 or 2" thick steel plating? IOW, heavy duty?

This is not for production or contracting work, just occasional hobbyuse

thanks

Dave

Great question Dave. I myself like the bandsaws, they are far more clean. The abrasive saws throw a lot of dust and grit. The bandsaws do not put the heat into the work either. I also think the bandsaws are more accurate. I started with a chop saw sold it on Craig's list and bought an Enco 4x6. I have just recently upgraded to an Ellis miter saw (currently restoring it). Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. Oh, forgot to mention that I cut outside so sparks, dust and stuff are no problem. Noise is no problem with hearing protection. It gets really really noisy this time of year where I live with dueling lawnmowers and weed wackers and guys revving up their motorcycles.

I'm currently using a Table Saw with cutoff wheel, which works fine, but I want to be able to see the work better as I'm cutting. I guess I could continue to use the TS and save up money for the HF bandsaw but I heard you need to buy or make a hydraulic lift for it and buy new blades. Factor that all in and it will be well over $300. I realize some people have the money, but just saying

All I can say my father bought a lot of HF when they were only in Calf. so that puts it maybe in the 1970s
in which he bought a 14" chop saw (orange color) It runs just about daily, never had brushes, has had
a few power cords that about it. Blades right down the street, cheap. 99 bucks good deal. In this shop
my thoughts are each machine compliments another as a shaper goes with a mill, chop saws go together
with the torch. We have stations or areas, I stay with machines, and the boys more or less are on the
welding side. We do F150 4x4 conversions removing coil springs / replace with leaf springs I machine
spring perches/bushings etc & they do the fab. & welding so with all this going on, here a chop saw is
a must, torch a must, plasma a must have. Just my example of the use and (abuse) this saw gets and
is still on the job. And yes we crack the shop door and shoot the sparks.

whops Dave I just reread your question. chopping 2 inches thats butter. Also try and cut something
like (you want the balls) from a bearing without smashing it. No kind of saw will cut that except by
grinding > chop saw. I made a bunch of 1-2-3 blocks out of 3.5" square stock chopped them into
lenghts, rought milled them two at a time then into the shaper two at a time. This job, not for torch,
and not for power hack saw, and Im sorry Randy, band saws its the blades. Trust me by the time
two inch piece is cut in hack saw, band saw, the chop saw is already done, and the blade is good for
a 100 more dont forget the key is chops dont have teeth. as they wear, its always getting a new
cutting edge.

thanks, I did think of that. Really thin stuff can sometimes break teeth. Lots more moving parts with bandsaw. And certain hard metals just don't cut well except with abrasive wheel. I plan to use the chop saw to complement my oxyacy setup. I didn't know HF was around since the 70s. They're a good 45 min or an hour from where I live so it's still a bit of a drive.

I've had stuff from them break, but so has stuff from Lowes and HD to be fair

Band saws are great for new metal and more accurate. Rust, weld, or harden steel will ruin your blade.
Chop saws will cut rust, weld, harden steel, and most anything you can think of, but they are dirty, noisy and inaccurate.
We all should have one of each but if I can only have one I prefer the Chop Saw.

thanks. I think I can spring for $99 sale they've got now. Have to see what shipping charges are and which is cheaper, store or online. BTW, I read in today's paper that the federal gov't might start letting states charge sales taxes for online purchases. Better to order now than later!

Guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I am missing where the OP mentioned this was waste steel (rusty and scaley). But hey, I'm just coming at it from the hobbist point of view, I have time for the cuts.

I am a commercial carpenter, been using chop saws for metal stud (and larger) work for 20-30 years, I have owned or operated most of the major brands...
While I understand the value of them, and the versatility in certain situations, a horizontal bandsaw is a very versatile piece of equipment also. I own a vertical unit, and a horizontal unit, as well as chopsaws... If I could only own one, the horizontal bandsaw would fit me better for what I do, but I have had my share of the sparks, dirt, dust and noise so anytime I can work with some thing cleaner and quieter that's the way I would go... You also loose a fair bit of metal per cut, and frankly, a chopsaw is not the most accurate tool in the shop :) YMMV be prepared to clean up cuts and straighten them out.

HTH

Rich

Back