chop saw for metal cutting question

The carbide chop saws are a split-the-middle saw between a genuine cold saw (Haberle comes to mind, and Scotsman) and an abrasive saw. The cold saws use a high quality HSS blade that is designed for long life and is resharpenable. They can cut fairly heavy stock. I have used one up to about 4" round, and it operated about like an aggressive milling cut. The teeth have a special grind with alternating patterns. One tooth cuts only in the middle third of the kerf, and the next cleans out the corners. This reduces the chip load on the teeth. Makes for a nice cut. They are run under coolant also.

The higher RPM carbide tipped chop saw is run dry, much faster than a cold saw, yet slower than an abrasive saw, as Siskiyou mentioned. They throw hot chips, but no sparks until they get really dull and you keep pushing them. They too are resharpenable if you don't break a tooth off and ruin the pocket it is soldered into. Some saw shops can even repair that, some can't. Do not put this type of blade on an abrasive saw. Do not put a wood cutting blade on this saw. Too slow for that, anyway. It would work, but not satisfactorily. Do not put an abrasive blade on this saw. Waste of time gnawing away at such a slow speed you would get nowhere.

I have an old Craftsman CS that I found at a pawn shop. It has a very heavy cast base and has performed beautifully on any project I threw at it. There's nothing like the good old American machines.

someone should invent a variable speed chopsaw so all the cutters can be used

Back