Chinese Boring Head How too..

Drill the through hole under size. Then pick up center again and bore the through hole to size and the first pocket. Turn part around and indicate the through hole and bore the second pocket.

Yeah Tom .020 is what I meant ...yes I am using center drill to start then walking up the 15/32 up from around 1/4"..
Maybe my table is walking.. I don't have the gibes locked. .
Is there a super secret trick to centering this up..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I missed all of the responses last night. Looks like you got the info you need to move forward. Good luck with your conversion. Keep posting if you need any more help.

Tom S.

So do you just lower the boring bar in and rotate it then move to table to eyeball it centered..

Cnctruckeic, it sounds like you are having the same problem I was having a few months ago with thinking that there should be some specific way to center the boreing head on the existing hole. The light bulb came on for me when someone wisely reminded me that, once you have indicated your spindle on center with whatever means you have, and lock X and Y, then any tool you put in the spindle will be on center. Now if you adjust the boreing head cutter out towards the edge of the drilled hole, and it hits only one edge of the ID first then its your drilled hole that is off, not the boreing head (provided, of course, that you correctly centered the spindle). You start cutting on the one side, and moving the cutter out a thousanth or 2 at a time until it is skimming metal off all the way around the ID. THEN, you have a perfectly round and centered hole. Now you keep boreing to your final demension. Hope this helps, JR49

Cnctruckeic, it sounds like you are having the same problem I was having a few months ago with thinking that there should be some specific way to center the boreing head on the existing hole. The light bulb came on for me when someone wisely reminded me that, once you have indicated your spindle on center with whatever means you have, and lock X and Y, then any tool you put in the spindle will be on center. Now if you adjust the boreing head cutter out towards the edge of the drilled hole, and it hits only one edge of the ID first then its your drilled hole that is off, not the boreing head (provided, of course, that you correctly centered the spindle). You start cutting on the one side, and moving the cutter out a thousanth or 2 at a time until it is skimming metal off all the way around the ID. THEN, you have a perfectly round and centered hole. Now you keep boreing to your final demension. Hope this helps, JR49
OK that makes sense... I really think my issue was the gibes were loose.. which made the boring head off..

It's the doing the second side that was not sure of...
I thought maybe there was a super secret machine trick...

I really appreciate all the help advice... great bunch of people here...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dsaul mentioned a trick to make it easier to center the flipside in an earlier post. As long as you bore your through hole to a tight slip fit on a rod that you can fit in one of your collets, your golden. Just chuck it up and lower it down while you adjust x and y. You could turn a stepped piece that fits your collet on one end and your bore on the other....or you could just indicate the bore and getrdone....LOL

Back