Chinese Boring Head How too..

cnctruckeic

Registered
Registered
I did finally get my Bearing block milled, But it took me 4 tries...
So I did learn not to take off too much .20 to .30 each pass, but the one thing i had issues with even with the block I got to work was centered in the hole.

So enlighten me please on how to use this Boring Head...

My order now is of course drill the hole (15/32") then use boring head. I have to use a drill chuck for drilling the hole. Then I don't move the table and insert the boring head with the unit set to zero. I open up the boring head to just scrape the inside of the hole and then go from there. Problem is unit is not centered. I have had to adjust the table a slight bit to get it to cut center of the pilot hole. Then the issue comes in when I have to flip the block over and do side 2. Getting it centered is bear..

So what is the trick? Is this just crappy tool or am I doing something wrong?

bearing block 1.png

bearing block 2.png

Either your drill is is walking off center or your table is moving. Are you spotting the hole before drilling? Are you using a pilot drill before the 15/32" drill? When you say you are taking .20 to .30 each pass did you mean to say .020 to .030? If you are in fact taking .20 to .30 that is way to much.

Sorry for all the questions. Just need to better understand how you are going about this before offering up solutions.

Tom S.

Yeah Tom .020 is what I meant ...yes I am using center drill to start then walking up the 15/32 up from around 1/4"..
Maybe my table is walking.. I don't have the gibes locked. .
Is there a super secret trick to centering this up..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It sounds like your 15/32 drill is not ground properly, cutting on one side only. Maybe try drilling the pilot hole to 3/8 then plunge with a 7/16 end mill. This should put the hole on center, then try the 15/32. It may follow the hole better.

Well that may be possible...these are harbor freight bits

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hi
Does your drill bit pull a chip on both flutes? if not then the drill bit will pull to the side that produces a chip, causing the hole to be slightly offset and when you start to bore the hole the cutter will look as if its cutting off center but in reality its cutting on center. I hope that makes scenes:confused:

Hi
Does your drill bit pull a chip on both flutes? if not then the drill bit will pull to the side that produces a chip, causing the hole to be slightly offset and when you start to bore the hole the cutter will look as if its cutting off center but in reality its cutting on center. I hope that makes scenes:confused:

Guess this is going to sound dumb... How do i look at bit to tell?

When drilling a hole, the curl should be coming off evenly on both sides of the drill bit. You could measure the drill bit with a gauge, but just observing the bit in use is the easiest way.

Back