Chinese Boring Head How too..

A drill in a chuck is not accurate,, That is why we bore

Then the issue comes in when I have to flip the block over and do side 2. Getting it centered is bear..

I'm not sure why you would need to flip a part over to do the other side of a hole. You should be able to bore straight through to any depth that is less than the length of the boring bar in your boring head. Is there a reason you can't bore all the way through from the first side?

GG

I'm not sure why you would need to flip a part over to do the other side of a hole. You should be able to bore straight through to any depth that is less than the length of the boring bar in your boring head. Is there a reason you can't bore all the way through from the first side?

GG
There is a bearing in both sides... so the hole is 15/32 all the way through.. then each side has a bearing. . Hole is .685 wide and .285 deep.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How thick is the block you're boring. I've never tried boring from both sides but it sounds like a tough way to get a straight bore.
It's a 1 inch block ...basically doing the
Hoss CNC upgrade to my harbor freight mill...
So 15/32 hole for the y shaft...
And a thrust bearing on each side .685 diameter and .285 deep.

A drill in a chuck is not accurate,, That is why we bore
OK I get that ...so do you have a collet for every size bit? And I only used drill chuck to get pilot hole drilled..

Well.. I did find something last night that was my issue guess I feel like a moron .
I was drilling some holes and felt the head moving..
Checked my gibe screws and they were loose.. I had to tear the mill down couple weeks ago.. and thethe gibe gave me a fit to get right.. I guess the lock nuts were not tight enough...
That said.. got the gibe tightened and just tried the boring head.. it was perfect. .

But I still would love to know the trick when I have to re-center the boring head after flipping this block...
If there is a trick mind you...

When I have to bore both sides of of a block, that has a through hole. I will take a skim bore on the drilled hole to make sure it is straight and round. That way I can indicate the hole when turning the block around.

As has already been said, you can not trust a drill to make a straight and centered hole. You need to drill to near the finished size and finish by boring it to size. I would bore the hole (undersized) all the way through to a size that matches a ground rod(maybe a cut off drill shaft) that you can fit in a collet. Bore your bearing pocket on one side. Flip the part and use the rod mounted in a collet in your spindle to center the part. Bore the center hole to finished size and then bore your second bearing pocket.

The best way would be to indicate the bored hole, after flipping the part. I am assuming that you don't have any way to indicate the hole, so the above would be how I would do it.

When I have to bore both sides of of a block, that has a through hole. I will take a skim bore on the drilled hole to make sure it is straight and round. That way I can indicate the hole when turning the block around.
So do you just lower the boring bar in and rotate it then move to table to eyeball it centered..

As has already been said, you can not trust a drill to make a straight and centered hole. You need to drill to near the finished size and finish by boring it to size. I would bore the hole (undersized) all the way through to a size that matches a ground rod(maybe a cut off drill shaft) that you can fit in a collet. Bore your bearing pocket on one side. Flip the part and use the rod mounted in a collet in your spindle to center the part. Bore the center hole to finished size and then bore your second bearing pocket.

The best way would be to indicate the bored hole, after flipping the part. I am assuming that you don't have any way to indicate the hole, so the above would be how I would do it.
Ok.. so then the correct way ..
Would be to drill my through hole .. boar the pocket..
Then find the center of the side 2 with a center finder or indicate it and calculate the center for x and y...

The bring the boring head back to zero..
And open that hole up..

Back