Chance to buy a South Bend Lathe

I think you should, if I remember right his price was reasonable. I even thought about buying them just to have as a spare in case I ever needed them. 2 years ago Grizzly, who now owns whats left of south bend was selling them for $700.00!!!

The eBay shim packs work good , I had to pull .004 off each pack and got it in spec. They were a little long : rubbed on thrust bearing: I ground a little off .
You need new spindle bearings as Greg states.
Chuck Did you find your take up nut ?.

Those bearings llok nice! You better snatched them up, they don't come along often. New used bearings, new shims, polish the spindle, and she will be good as new and run like a dream.

Those bearings llok nice! You better snatched them up, they don't come along often. New used bearings, new shims, polish the spindle, and she will be good as new and run like a dream.

I went ahead and bought them. I also have the shim packs coming. I would hate to try and use my old bearings and waste the 50.00 shims. Thanks for mentioning the bearing.. I reworded my search and found them. Paid 100.00 plus about 8.00 shipping.

Last edited:
The eBay shim packs work good , I had to pull .004 off each pack and got it in spec. They were a little long : rubbed on thrust bearing: I ground a little off .
You need new spindle bearings as Greg states.
Chuck Did you find your take up nut ?.

Never found the take up nut.. My garage is full of motorcycle parts and hardware and all kinds of stuff. I remember seeing it about a year ago and not realizing what it is. I stashed it away probably with some unrelated hardware..I doubt I threw it away. I have done an extensive search a few times with no luck. I have given up. If your offer is still good, I will take you up on it. If I eventually find mine in the distant future, I will send yours back. If I could find one on ebay, I would go that route, but the only ones I see are for the 10K model.

Here is just a portion of my garage, duplicate this about 10 times and you will get the picture. No storage space left for anything.. The dimensions are about 40' X 28'.

These are older pictures when it wasn't so cluttered!

IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

Last edited:
It's coming along nice. One day I will get mine back together...

It's coming along nice. One day I will get mine back together...

You just got to do it.. My problem was looking at the machine and thinking how much work it's going to take.. I did this for quite a while.. then one day I just decided to paint a few small pieces, which in turn motivated me to do more.. pretty soon I was back into it. If you can do a little every week or month, it will pay off and before you know it, you are on the road to completion.

She's really looking good, you've come a long way. Mike

Did you get the rebuild book? It was very helpful to me when I set my spindle. You might look in my thread of my rebuild. I think I posted pics of the indicator set up. Remember it should turn freely by hand and should not get hot when running.

Back