Can you get 4500psi welding gas bottles for Mig welding

Composite pressure Vessel? Have you not heard of TITAN recently??

Would rather rely on steel wrapped with kevlar.
SCBA tanks have the pressure inside putting the fibers in tension, exactly how they perform best. Titan was in compression, and doomed to fail.

That is what a though I may just buy a small bottle for PCP.
I am about to invest in a carbon fiber bottle for my pcp guns. They will go to 4500 no problem. With all the newer guns coming out that fill to 4500, I think it’s time to take the leap. Been using 3000 to 3500 in scuba tanks for years now

May take the other leap and get a compressor too

The Navy did a study and found these tanks have infinite life when used within their rated pressure. These same tanks are also certified for 30 years in Europe instead of 15 here, so I am not concerned about using a composite tank past its certification provided it doesn’t have any visible damage.
Okay, you do you boo, Connecticut is far enough away that I am not worried about dealing with any of your consequences.....

A composite tank isn't a monolithic structure, the cycles eventually cause de-lamination which is what bit the Titan sub. Even steel vessels are required to be inspected regularly if they are DOT vessels. ASME vessels tend to not require as much because they have a higher safety factor.

Okay, you do you boo, Connecticut is far enough away that I am not worried about dealing with any of your consequences....
I will, and you should do what you are comfortable with. In my case, knowing the 15 year certification by DOT was arbitrary since they did not know what it should be when they came out, Europe uses 30 years for the same tanks, and I read and trust the Navy research, I don’t feel these expired tanks pose much of a risk. I am FAR more concerned about my steel air compressor tank.

I will, and you should do what you are comfortable with. In my case, knowing the 15 year certification by DOT was arbitrary since they did not know what it should be when they came out, Europe uses 30 years for the same tanks, and I read and trust the Navy research, I don’t feel these expired tanks pose much of a risk. I am FAR more concerned about my steel air compressor tank.
Forgive me if I seem a bit prudish on this subject; but, I do process piping design/lite engineering for a living, industrial gas storage in both gaseous and cryogenics, Refining, Chemical and upstream and downstream offshore, lots of high pressure gas applications for the better part of 40 years now. I have seen these things fail in grand/spectacular fashion and the experience has made me very safety conscious and careful, its like playing Russian roulette with a single shot bomb, even at lower pressures (50 or 60 PSI) compressible fluids can be deadly. Thus the attitude of "you do you boo", In my line of work 90% of what I do is very capable of killing good folks but when it goes from can to will I draw a line that I do not cross so it wasn't intended as an insult nor to be personal.....

Forgive me if I seem a bit prudish on this subject; but, I do process piping design/lite engineering for a living, industrial gas storage in both gaseous and cryogenics, Refining, Chemical and upstream and downstream offshore, lots of high pressure gas applications for the better part of 40 years now. I have seen these things fail in grand/spectacular fashion and the experience has made me very safety conscious and careful, its like playing Russian roulette with a single shot bomb, even at lower pressures (50 or 60 PSI) compressible fluids can be deadly. Thus the attitude of "you do you boo", In my line of work 90% of what I do is very capable of killing good folks but when it goes from can to will I draw a line that I do not cross so it wasn't intended as an insult nor to be personal.....
I appreciate your concern, and I didn’t take it personally, I remembered your background from a previous post you made and why you have concerns. I spent close to 30 years in engineering in various positions and understand the risks of the process equipment industry. Part of my career was with industrial centrifuges that if they developed a crack at running speed, you would find parts several cinder block walls away. Some people I have worked with think I am over the top with precautions, and like you, I don’t take unnecessary risks with dangerous equipment, however in this situation I heard about people using expired carbon fiber bottles and researched this and came across information that makes me comfortable using them well past the US certification age. I do not have that same comfort level with steel or aluminum pressure vessels, and if a SCBA tank was damaged in any way, I would get rid of it and not take the chance.

Back