Can you get 4500psi welding gas bottles for Mig welding

rodm1

Registered
Registered
Looking for one to fill PCP air guns and do double duty for welding.

Looking for one to fill PCP air guns and do double duty for welding.
If you are wanting high pressure air to fill air guns with, see if you can find a Davy compressor, you can occasionally find them relatively inexpensive. You can find some bottles over 2500 PSI but they will not fit in the normal garage, most welding cylinders are 2200 to 2500PSI with a rare few at 3000 PSI, generally those over that are large and heavy for receiving gas off an air-plant or regas from a cryo tank.

That is what a though I may just buy a small bottle for PCP.

Last edited:
I was looking into that at my local Airgas store, they listed nitrogen tanks up to 6,000 psi, but with the hassle of bringing it home and paying the rental fee, I decided to get a compressor instead. I bought this one, it works well so far.

Look for a SCBA bottle. Most are fiberglass and are light weight. There is an age limit they can use them in emergency services. They are still fine for what you want

I was looking into that at my local Airgas store, they listed nitrogen tanks up to 6,000 psi, but with the hassle of bringing it home and paying the rental fee, I decided to get a compressor instead. I bought this one, it works well so far.

What size did the did the 6,000 psi come in? Most of the PCP compressors I'm not impressed in do to quality.

What size did the did the 6,000 psi come in? Most of the PCP compressors I'm not impressed in do to quality.
I don’t recall, it was a couple years ago when I inquired about it.

You can get some large Nitrogen cylinders, but it's also an investment in regulators and they're not at all portable like a good tank.

If you have a fire dept, scuba shop, or somewhere else conveniently close (and regularly open) a tank is all you need. Otherwise, get a compressor. I bit the bullet and bought an Alkin a few years ago, and have never regretted it.

GsT

Look for a SCBA bottle. Most are fiberglass and are light weight. There is an age limit they can use them in emergency services. They are still fine for what you want
Not all of them use the higher pressure. I asked a friend of mine at the local fire department about getting an old bottle, but he said all of theirs are the lower pressure ones, I think it was 2300 psi, so they are unsuitable for PCP airguns. Also, if they aged out for the fire department, then they are past their 15 year certification and he won’t be able to get it filled, so he will need his own compressor anyways.

Back