Buying my first new lathe. Chinese or Chinese?

Multifix relies on splines, and Dixon uses veeways. Bothm are also QCTP

they are now expanding and gearing up to actually manufacture there own PM lathes.
That would be a huge investment! But they have an "IN" on tools. Just a grinder for a lathe bed is really big bucks. I wonder what they will specialize in? New designs?

Thank you. Super excited. I cant afford to run it but it sure will look purdy in my shop :)
The way I understand (could be wrong) this is a new model and is replacing one of their other machines but a little confused on that. Here is the quote they sent to me.

PM-1440-2V Lathe, Large Bore, Variable Speed, with accessory
package, and Cast Iron Base included, with 2 axis DRO Installed
With:
1. 8" 3 Jaw Chuck
2. 8" 4 Jaw Chuck
3. Face Plate
4. 251-222 Quick Change Tool Post
5. Tool Box with Accessories
6. Steady Rest
7. Follow Rest
8. Fixed Center - Tailstock
9. Fixed Center - Headstock
10. Reducing Sleeve
11. 2 axis DRO Installed
It's funny I found this thread. I've been going back and forth for the last 48 hours on which lathe to order. Here is what they sent me when I inquired about the backorder status on the 1440BV,

Hi Anthony,

We are doing a bit of an upgrade to the PM1440BV model. We have made
some minor changes, mostly cosmetic and sourced these machines from
another factory that we use that are able to get them to us a bit
faster. Because we are changing factories with this model, the name is
going to change. The model that will be replacing the PM1440BV is going
to be called the PM-1440-2V. The price is the same, with DRO it is
$8799. These are on a ship already heading our way. We are expecting
delivery on our end here around mid to late December.

Hate to sound like a complete fool but what is the dif between the BXA and the QCTP?

Thanks verbotenwhisky, once I get set up and determine what I have and dont have I will probably look into getting a handful but I will also need to understand the differences in the radius's. Did you by chance use any of their threading inserts? I am hoping those inserts are a bit better than a Harbor Freight style bit.
the BXA is a QCTP (Quick Change Tool Post) AXA is a smaller QCTP post for the smaller lathes and the BXA is a mid range size, there are larger which is why I asked since you are buying the 1440, I do not know where one stops and the next size starts. I have used the threading inserts and they work well, I haven't used them enough yet that I have needed to buy additional inserts though. f you bought tool holders with the diamond shape inserts they are very pointed at the cutting end, however you can buy better inserts which have a very small radius to the tip and cut much better.

This is the insert I bought and is works with the tools I purchased from PM, and They cut much better.
1700598130393.jpeg

How many sizes are there?
Depends on the manufacturer and also the specifications as to adjustability of the height and size tooling varies. You can look up the sizes in the Aloris catalog. Most lathe (and QCTP) manufactures will have recommendations for the size machine, but one needs to factor in the specific lathe dimensions, the type of tooling you will use, oversized holders, etc. Example is that a lathe like a 1440 might use either a BXA or CXA holders, the latter may be more applicable to a heavier machine. Also the swing quoted may not always be accurate. I have had two 1340 lathes, the first one fit BXA holders, the second lathe they are a bit small and could also fit CXA.

Aloris:
1700606998546.png

Dorian:
1700606886620.png

Depends on the manufacturer and also the specifications as to adjustability of the height and size tooling varies. You can look up the sizes in the Aloris catalog. Most lathe (and QCTP) manufactures will have recommendations for the size machine, but one needs to factor in the specific lathe dimensions, the type of tooling you will use, oversized holders, etc. Example is that a lathe like a 1440 might use either a BXA or CXA holders, the latter may be more applicable to a heavier machine. Also the swing quoted may not always be accurate. I have had two 1340 lathes, the first one fit BXA holders, the second lathe they are a bit small and could also fit CXA.

Aloris:
View attachment 467647

Dorian:
View attachment 467646
Thanks for the information.

I bought a new Grizzly G4003G gunsmith lathe about 7 years ago. With my old American iron it was a miracle to get within .005" but the Grizzly made working to .001" a piece of cake. I believe the G4003G is called a gunsmith lathe because it has an outboard spider and upgraded spindle bearings. Don't get hung up on semantics. Any quality lathe that has a spindle bore of 1.5" (to pass a barrel blank) will be able to do gun smith work.

Back