Build yer own computer from parts

Thanks for that advice. I will go with one of those power supplies.

An EE friend of mine made a fan faker. Its an IC555 chip that sends pulses to the MB. I use it for the case fan spot right now and will use another for the CPU fan spot.

I just went to the HikVision web site. They are obsoleting the HikVision4500 software. In this case, I thinks its time to just replace the entire NVR. Not too hot about the cloud storage idea - I'd like to have recordings locally.

I thinks its time to just replace the entire NVR
you might look into Blue Iris software to manage an installation of IP based cameras. this would keep it out of the cloud but will require you to have a dedicated computer to run the Blue Iris software. I monitor 9 Cameras with Blue Iris. It seems fairly sophisticated with motion detection and video archiving to local storage, NAS or cloud depending on your needs. Also runs on a modern computer.

For what it's worth (not much) I used to work on computers until WinDoze 95 came along. I got out of the business and went back to industrial controllers, PLCs and the like. My current machine(s) are Dell laptops. Reconditioned, about $100 each. The best move is to get away from WinDoze. I am partial to UNIX, but it's hard to get along with. Look to Linux, a subset of UNIX. Much easier to learn and most add ons work with it up front.

The big issue today is that there are plenty of computer experts around. But when you look at their backtrail, it's all Apple OS? or WinDows. So few of those computer "experts" know what an 8255 IC is or that WinDoze is a fancyed up CP/M 86 or that Bill Gates wrote the Apple 6502 Basic software. Computer whiz, my dieing arse. . . An expert is an ex(has been) spurt(drip under pressure). . .

Get two or three Dell refurbished business machines. Don't worry about high end graphics cards, most refurb monitors will do 1024 x 768 at a minimum. Use an external CD/DVD writer with a new CD every day. Good ones can erase as well. Keep a couple of weeks (as needed) as archives and erase older ones to reuse.

What will chew up your budget is the peripherals. There is a device that will take older RGB or Composite Video inputs and convert to USB. Security systems are a very specific subset of computer technology. They swing on almost any computer system. The problem is that a 64 bit wide machine is most common these days. Anything less is simply obsolete. Most of the software you will need will be for newer (64 bit) machines. The same with (salvaged?) peripherals, IEEE 1392 (FireWire), RS-232, and parallel ports are rare today.

Most any hard drive will serve. 100 GBytes is large, sufficient to hold the security system, and then some. Use the external CD writer as the output. Load everything on several machines, then just swap one out when a failure occurs. And if you want to play games, use another machine.

Re: Blue Iris.

I looked at this briefly. Even bought a license. I was not able to get it to recognize the cameras and quickly gave up. Did you find it complex to set up and get running?

Did you find it complex to set up and get running?
Generally it has not been a problem to setup the IP cameras that I have. I have had a 35+ year career in IT so my definition of complex and yours may vary. Blue Iris has a lot of configuration options but really only a few parameters are required to get a camera working. When I have had any issues, I have been able to find good information on solving it with Google. BTW, I have had very poor experience with FOSCAM brand cameras and don't recommend them.

Interesting reading thread. I think many experiences and advice shared here are very good.

It is rather hard to know what would be a good solution, unless some or all of the constraints are known. These include, if the camera can be changed due to company policy, how much the person setting up the system knows about computer, etc., and how much is the budget, even if money is not a constraint for the computer itself.

Setting up a new computer to handle an outdated system is likely not recommended.

Newer cameras have higher resolution, providing real evidence, not just blurry mess, and the night mode is excellent.

I used to set up a wired based security camera system. I ripped them out later on, because wireless is simply superior.

I understand the privacy and hacking risk. In that case, I would avoid system that don't let you manage the cameras, and upload data onto the cloud. The only hard part is the encryption from the camera to the receiving unit. Is the encryption and video format proprietary?

Talk about memory lane, from coding in Cobol and assembly to working with HP Unix system, where I had to convince a customer to let me download and build a big specific compiler package for that particular system because the mainstream package doesn't have a patches that it needs to work. Luckily, they agreed. A big security risk.

I also recall managing a Solaris system for the US Senate. Each time the OS or software needs updated, it's a big hassle compared to Linux or Windows.

Now, I run all my systems in Linux and MacOS. I only use Windows when preparing taxes.

I built a few system before, from general purpose to gaming.

However, as many other have said, I also use used system. Workstation class system is very good. I own mostly laptops. They use much less power than desktop. They take very little space, have integrated keyboard, mouse and display, and of course, portable.

Workstation class laptops are powerful and expandable. Mine can handle 32 GB of memory easily. They also have some good expansion capability. The USB ports also help a lot with expansion.

For SSD, I run only on SSD on my main system without problem. Newer SSD software distributes out the writes, so that a same spot is not hit more often, and ended up trash the drive. However, with video content are big, and there is a lot of writes, it maybe good idea to have 2 drives with 1 SSD for the OS and 1 spinning drive for the data, with periodically backing up to another (3rd) spinning magnetic drive, using RSync for example or whatever appropriate (as some have pointed out).

Talk about a used computer vs new vs custom computer. A used or new computer often don't have standard ATX case. So if the motherboard dies, then you need to buy a same motherboard as the old one or very similar. A generic/custom computer case can accommodate most motherboard. Other than that, they are very similar. You may need to hunt down drivers for custom system compared to reputable brand name system.

Tricking a system to think the fan is working, such as by using a chip and not a real fan, will fry the system in a short order. It is the heat not removed from the system due to failed fans that cause other components to fail.

Last edited:
btw, none of my cameras are using wireless. I have disabled the WiFi and all of them are connected using PoE (Power over Ethernet). This is for two reasons. 1. much lower chance of unwanted remote access 2. Other than running the wire, the maintenance is easier.

I maybe should not have mentioned cameras in this thread. My security system has two major parts. the NVR and camera separate from the hardwired contact and sensor system that goes to the W7 PC via a PCI IO card that is opto isolated. The actual contacts date back to 1988 and 1991 when the site was built.

Right now i am replacing wear components on the PC to minimize future break downs. I was going to replace the entire PC but selecting components that will run 32 bit W7 custom software with a PCI slot has proved to be over my head. i will just get in trouble.

This is the second PC in the system. Replaced the first after a hard drive failure. The second system is an HP 8300 mother board with an i3 CPU. I have had two failures here, once was the useless case fan. second was the CPU fan. I am guessing its due for a hard drive crash or main power supply failure. This system seems to know when i am away for a long vacation and only breaks down then.

With fans being the most failures, i am getting rid of them. In general, i would agree with nnam that removing fans will cause trouble with heat. But the case here measures 48" by 60" by 7" deep. It is located in the basement of an air conditioned home.

Now the fanless CPU cooler is a new trial. I will install it and monitor CPU temps. It turns out there is an app to do just this. https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-monitor-cpu-temp-temperature i will run it before and after the fanless cooler install. If that fails, i plan to build something that uses two fans so both have to fail.

I really appreciate all the good advice. It has helped to get a more reliable system.

After i get all this work done and tested, I plan to start a new thread on updating the camera system. It was installed about seven years ago with new old stock components that are now obsolete.

As someone who has worked in IT for several decades I can understand why people are hesitant to put their "stuff" into the "cloud".

I've also worked cloud computing conferences for the past 8 years and believe most of the fears people have are largely unfounded. While it may be true that there's an outside possibility that someone in China could be monitoring my Wyse home cameras I find that prospect to be of little consequence compared to all the other threats I deal with daily in my job. "Big Data" already has more information on us than most would be comfortable with and any more on that topic would start to stray into forbidden territory here.

I don't have cameras in bedrooms or any other sensitive areas of my homes and if any of you would like to check in on my 91-year-old mom's chair I'll send you a link so you can watch her sleep. ;)

For me it's a simple trade off, $29 for a camera I can view from my phone with minimum fuss vs. way more money for a system I have to setup, maintain and eventually replace. I've been running the Wyse cam since 2019 and it's done everything I could ask, I've also recently installed their "smart" thermostats and wouldn't hesitate to use any of their other home automation or security products if I needed them. It's nice having everything tied back to an ecosystem that seems to be stable and growing and being able to access all of it from my phone with very little effort. Having run corporate security systems I know how much work it is to install and maintain the type of system the OP has and would definitely recommend investigating what's available today from a company like Wyse (no connection here, just a happy customer). Honestly, I'd rather spend my free time in the shop or just chatting away here than building an extensive/expensive home security system that lives within my walled garden.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not telling you that the boogie man isn't real, build whatever you're comfortable with and sleep well at night. Just know that many of us are moving on now....

John

Last edited:
I am not worried about someone from china getting access to my cameras. What I do think is admittedly a low possibility is that someone will have an exploit for the cameras via Wifi and will be driving by looking for cameras they can compromise in real time. then use this information to mask a theft. It is easy for me to use PoE and keep them hardwired so I do. As for cloud storage, my only concern there is that I think it cost more than my NAS system for the amount of storage I have. However I do use Cloud for some critical things that I may need of short notice from anywhere, like my medical history and shopping lists for the "Next" trip to the hardware store etc.

Anyway, Karl, good luck on getting your system back online. I have my doubts with the fanless CPU cooler but I know it is possible under the proper circumstances.

Back