Build yer own computer from parts

When I put mine together, I started here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/
After I chose an appropriate CPU, I went in search of a motherboard: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/
I already had a cabinet and power supply. I bought 8 GB of RAM and an SSD that resides on the mother board in an M2 slot. I chose Linux as an operating system, because I wasn't about to pay for Windows.

As others have noted, for the purpose you want, it just doesn't pay to piece a computer together unless you need certain specifications. I have always built my own computers because I wanted certain specs. and space to expand. There are dozens of eBay sellers that sell refurbished mainstream computers with a warranty, dell have been quite reliable. Example below, Dell OptiPlex 7010, processor 3.6gHz l I5, 4GB memory, 1 TB HD, DVD burner, numerous ports, built in graphics controller, with windows 10 loaded came out to $160-180. 1 year warranty, 100% feedback. Also ton's via Amazon, issue may be comparability with current PCI card and also 32 vs. 64 bit operating system.

Last edited:
Guys, the real kicker here is the need for a PCI slot. Anything standard built in the last five years does not have this slot.

No big deal to install W7 on a win10 machine.

I also want to build something that should run for five years 24x7

Like many above have said, building cost is not going to help compared with a used system

If it is me, I would have to know what the PCI slot is used for, in your case. Is it for video compression?

Many newer security cameras have low cost, high resolution, better night mode and wireless.

For longevity, and long term, fanless design is better, because power and dust, heat and noise work against you.

So, see if an ARM based system can solve your problem.

In summary, look at bigger picture. Can replacing cameras solve the problem? Can a used system suffice? What are the constraints? Must it be Windows? Can it be Linux?

since your purpose is simple, it really won't hurt to buy a premade. I just hate to do that myself, because you're always buying some features that you don't want or need. Plus all the pre-installed software with no way to re-install it without wiping out everything on the computer.

you might try Dell Refurbished systems. Some of these are systems that have come back after being leased for a number of years, rebuilt then sold cheep. there might be some with PCI slots. Overall buying from the Dell outlet is a very cost effective way to get a good computer. (some are just "Open Box" or "Scratch-n-Dent"

DELL OUTLET

My Dell inspirionLaptop won't run Fusion 360 due to the graphics card. I have an old, 10 yrs maybe, Dell desktop also. What would I need to upgrade the old Desktop to run Fusion 360? Motherboard and all.

LONG SHOT Anyone here good at buying all the parts to build a running computer? I SUCK at it. Always have trouble.

My security and camera system runs 24x7x365. VERY low demand for computer speed. It needs a PCI slot for the one IO card. These are becoming had to find. I had better get a spare computer box up and running then replace the five year old computer before it dies. Everything runs on window seven.

The failures on previous computers have always been the power supply and cooling fan, FWIW. That's the reason for the very low watt CPU and then a huge CPU cooler - try to run it with the fan dead.

Anyway started looking on NewEgg and got this far:

motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813128713?Item=9SIAYKAF8V5939

cooler

https://www.newegg.com/vetroo-v5/p/13C-00F3-00002?Item=9SIAPNCBP46768

processor

https://www.newegg.com/intel-celeron-g1840/p/N82E16819117301?Item=9SIA4RE7N72501

I'll stop here for now, but got several more items to pick out. AND the above may be poor choices, i just never do this.
harder to lead you with no idea of what you will do with it. I am a flight sim (WW2) maniac and need a strong video card and SSd hard drive plus powerful processor. If you will not draw in Cad or play recent video games(simulators) your needs will be less expensive. Power supplies are rated for their load capacity over time periods. When they are strong enough to be rated Bronze or gold you are in good hands. (80 Plus Bronze power supplies are rated for at least 82% efficiency at 20% load, 85% efficiency at 50% load, and 82% efficiency at 100% load. The secret the Bronze-rated's success is the general reliability of them, paired alongside with their low cost when compared to Gold-rated power supplies.)

Last edited:
No one has changed my mind, I need help building a custom PC. low watt CPU and motherboard with a PCI slot. Low cost NOT a priority, LONG TERM RELIABILITY IS NEEDED.

I did find two offers for no fan CPU coolers, anyone know about them??

The link on Paul S post above indicated there are a number of 65 watt CPUs. AND a huge selection of motherboards with PCI slots. Anyone know of one manufacturer known for better quality boards?

Guess I am also looking for a GOLD rated power supply - Is there one with no fan needed.

Again, I will gladly *pay* somebody to help me through this jungle.

I have built several computers over the years, mostly upper end, most recently a few months ago. I tend to like Asus (Intel CPU) motherboards as they are generally stable and they provide bios patches for some number of years.

My recent one uses the ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS mother board, which has 3 (EDIT) PCIe slots, and is Micro-ATX form factor (I think it also installs in ATX cases).

A few things worth noting:
Many motherboards will not have onboard wireless, and will either need a PCI slot or "M2" slot to add. (M2 is a newer standard typically used for solid state drives - SSDs).
If intending to run Windows 11 you need a "secure boot" bios as well as a security chip (TPM-SPI module).
For the motherboard above you need to buy the security chip separately, as they only provide a socket for it (probably due to chip shortages).
Recent Windows installs will self patch every once in a while, and may reboot and/or shutdown, so need some babysitting.
If using M2 SSD drives its a good idea to add heat sinks to them unless they come with them already.

Last edited:
Back