Build yer own computer from parts

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
LONG SHOT Anyone here good at buying all the parts to build a running computer? I SUCK at it. Always have trouble.

My security and camera system runs 24x7x365. VERY low demand for computer speed. It needs a PCI slot for the one IO card. These are becoming had to find. I had better get a spare computer box up and running then replace the five year old computer before it dies. Everything runs on window seven.

The failures on previous computers have always been the power supply and cooling fan, FWIW. That's the reason for the very low watt CPU and then a huge CPU cooler - try to run it with the fan dead.

Anyway started looking on NewEgg and got this far:

motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813128713?Item=9SIAYKAF8V5939

cooler

https://www.newegg.com/vetroo-v5/p/13C-00F3-00002?Item=9SIAPNCBP46768

processor

https://www.newegg.com/intel-celeron-g1840/p/N82E16819117301?Item=9SIA4RE7N72501

I'll stop here for now, but got several more items to pick out. AND the above may be poor choices, i just never do this.

I can't help but I'm going to watch this thread with interest, I would like to build my own as well.

I've been building them since the x286! That board is way more than you need, and the factory cooler will be fine for the CPU for what you describe. I don't expect that you'd be able to run any of the coolers with a dead fan. It's possible on paper, but what you'll find isn't designed for it. The CPU will throttle down or stop to avoid over-heating, and you can make sure the case is well ventilated. Having extra fans will help protect against the CPU cooler failing, but once again, there won't be any damage.

I've built several, mostly high end. Have to agree with @MikeWi, stick with the factory cooler, don't try to run with a dead CPU fan just replace it. A lot of this DIY stuff is made in China, and leans toward being high on features but low on quality. Anandtech.com is one source for reviews that will point you to quality parts. Keep in mind most DIY computer builders tend toward "gamers". Lots of bells and whistles, high performance, but only run a few hours a day. Fans in general are items that tend to wear out quickly unless you get good quality. On the other hand they are usually easy to replace. Power supplies are a second item, in part because they have fans (moving parts).

I had been building my computers back into the 80s. It was fun, and I was able to save some money. That's no longer the case. You can't save much, and the crypto miners are buying up all the good video cards for their GPUs. Too many device incompatibilities now. And once I bought my first MacBook Pro, and realized how much more I like Mac OS X over Windows, Microsoft can go suck it.

Built a few, had a store, no more.

Our last irrigation system controller ran on Quarter deck platform, major pain to locate compatable stuff, current is windows, life easier now.

Had a frame mount case which was nice, but pain, have 4 for free if someone wants them for shipping...

We now use enterprise grade Dell.

A local person has a contact with a supplier to places like banks.

When they upgrade he buys the old ones.

Sells for maybe 40 bucks or so.

I buy a few so spare parts are handy.

They are much better built and easy to maintain.

Given they are enterprise models parts are easy, but buy a couple and be done.

We also grab others as found...

For this use I would never build one as the power needed is well below what the "custom" stuff is built for and building from parts results in not optimum matching and usually odd case and other stuff.

The old frame kit was 2U tall and a pain to work on, the 1U worse.

The Dell is on a drawer in 2U of space and easy.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I've been working on computers professionally (that is, I get paid to do it) for over 20 years. I built a few systems when I first started, but no more. You can't really save any money and the product may or may not be as solid as what you can buy. I recommend a server system, they're designed for the 24-7-365 service that you expect from a security system. I have a rather unique experience regarding brands. All of the computers I have are hand-me-downs, my customers give them to me when they upgrade. I recommend Dell, they last longer than anything else. I will say that HP's business class systems are far better than the ones made for the consumer market.

No computer whizz, but I purchased refurbished a windows 10 HP pro desktop unit, fully loaded with software for around $200. It has been working just fine for going on 2 years now. Don't really need another hobby, so that was the answer for me.

I rebuilt my daughter's PC (my old one from many moons ago) - it already had a new silver+ (or gold, can't remember) PSU and SSD, put an AMD Ryzen and compatible (decent + recommended) board in it, plus 16GB of RAM and have had nothing but trouble with it. Random freezes and blue screens. Done a bunch of testing and tweaking and pretty much gave up. She's now using my work laptop instead.

Back