Build thread for my CNC Plasma Table

Got the gantry mounted and rolling smoothly, Only have one set of skates on each side & it is still very stable as far as rocking, it does have a bit of movement as far as one skate getting ahead of the other when pushing from one side but that is expected & will be eliminated when the second set of skates are mounted. Gotta order the skates when I get some cash.

Next item to work on is the drive mechanism to power the gantry down the X axis tracks. I need a piece of rod to make an axle to reach from one side to the other, make the mounts for the tensioned chain (stationary) that a sprocket will run on. Need to make a gear reduction system and get all that mounted along with the stepper motor.

The Y axis is all internal in the gantry so that makes things easier.

Gantry mounted (1).JPG Gantry mounted (2).JPG Gantry mounted (3).JPG

Charlie,
My Torchmate Table is made from that same extruded aluminum from 8020. It's tough stuff, I can put a whole 4X8 sheet of 1/4 ar400 on my 4X4 small shop machine, and it holds it with out noise, flex or twisting, rock solid. Really looking forward to your completed system
Bob

I went by Charley's shop earlier today and got to see the plasma table in person. It is going to be strong! The gantry with the y-axis drive inside is neat and clean. Once he gets the x-axis cross drive designed and installed it should be rock solid. Did not get to see the z-axis since the gears are still going round in Charley's head working the design.

Good going Charley!

Benny

You forgot to tell them about the brand new stepper motor I knocked to the floor & probably ruined :shush::banghead::faint::yikes::headache::bawling:

Real nice progress Charley! Looks like you have more room in the shop. Ready to see sparks fly.

Got my Z Axis mounted and tested it with a power drill, it may be too slow with the screw it is using not sure yet. I'll mount a stepper up by the shaft and it will work off a belt drive.

Z axis (1).JPG Z axis (2).JPG

Video of the testing Z Axis gets a little jerky at the end making the Y axis work by hand
[video=facebook;3541189616468]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3541189616468[/video]

Got my Z Axis mounted and tested it with a power drill, it may be too slow with the screw it is using not sure yet. I'll mount a stepper up by the shaft and it will work off a belt drive.

Charley,
The z-axis mechanism looks good mounted in position. Looks like a good choice and application of that assembly. Gets it out of storage and put to work.

I know in one of our conversations you mentioned you wanted to look at making the machine both a plasma cutter and 3D wood router. I don't have a clue about the vertical move rate you need for use of both a plasma torch and a wood router on the same machine but a combination of thread pitch and motor pulleys should get you there. If the existing adjustment thread pitch is too fine (slow = fine thread pitch) you might be able to change to a courser acme thread to get faster movement. You may also want to look at the maximum speed of your stepper motor vs the speed of the drill motor before you get too excited about it.

Looking good!

Benny

Back