Build thread for my CNC Plasma Table

Had some issues with my gantry. It's a 5' gantry but I can't even get 4' of travel out of it. I took it apart to fix the issue but opened another can of worms. The skate that tracks back and forth is too long and hits the rubber bumpers on each end limiting the travel. I cut it down but could only take so much off each end because it clamps the belt in the teeth on the ends. The bearings have to be adjusted with a height gauge so they will go back in properly. This is being a PIA.

Gantry Issues (2).JPG Gantry issues.JPG Gantry Skates.JPG Y axis Skates (2).JPG Y axis skates.JPG

Believe it or not it was welded up inside here:thinking::lmao:
Had to turn it on it's side to do it but mission accomplished and it's only 1/8th" out of square:biggrin:

Clean shop.JPG Dirty Shop.JPG Plasma table (2).JPG

Started working on the Plasma table again tonight, drilled & tapped one rail for the KHK linear track for my gantry to ride on. I tapped for 1/4-28 & don't have one screw in the shop anywhere :headscratch: so I got to get about 100 1inch 1/4-28 socket head screws and should be able to mount my gantry pretty quick. I really need to get this project done cause it will be a big money maker for me & get me back on my feet. Maybe I'll pull out of this funk I'm in.

My eldest son built one a couple years ago, I think it has a 5' x 10' table as a 4 x 8 sheet will fit on it. I know he had spent quite a bit of time and money on it and now wants to build a 10' x 42' unit, with a water container/trough below it, so he can cut 8' x 40' sheets. ITRC it runs on rollers with independent drive motors slaved to each side driven by little serpentine belts. I do know it can move very fast with no whipping action.

I only saw it cut one time though when he cut out a silhouette of an airplane for me early on and he has since added stuff to it that senses the distance from the work piece that does something optically and electrically, but other than that I could not tell you much.

Kyle's Plasma Cuttings.JPG (2.46 MB)

Kyle's Plasma Cuttings.JPG

Last edited:
I keep trying to stick a picture on here and obviously I have not figured it out yet, but no need to worry, once my neighbor's 4 year old gets in from playing I'll have her show me!

Nice airplane NXR

I put both Z axis rails on today they are pretty straight and parallel except at the ends where I welded the legs on, a little difference in the 2 surfaces but an easy fix. Gonna start on my gantry mounts later tonight, the gantry is all self contained so that's saving me some time. I need 2 more skates for those KHK linear tracks but they will have to wait as I spent all my lunch money on the 1/4-28 bolts. Hope to have the gantry rolling tomorrow.

CNC Plasma Table (1).JPG CNC Plasma Table (2).JPG CNC Plasma Table (3).JPG

Looking good Charley! What do you plan to do for an exhaust system, forced air, water trough or???

Looking good Charley, Don't know how I missed this thread so I'll be watching for updates.

Paul

Back