Broach Sets ?

DSCF0003.JPGDSCF0001.JPGDSCF0005.JPG
Bill---yes my set of Hassay-Savage broaches are the keyway set----I wish I had square and hex broaches also---I went to an Amish machine shop auction years ago and he had about 200 broaches of about every size and shape, and sorry the whole lot sold to someone with much more cash than I had to spend and he was probably a real machinist------still think of what I missed-------Dave

DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

Why a "set"? If you are doing a straight keyway once in awhile buy a keyway broach in the size needed, make the bushings.
If you do enough of them you will have aquired a "set" given time.

The correct bushing is what I seem to never have.

FYI the next is good arbor press
On small broach a drill press will work If you cut above 1/8" (3 mm) need a press
I have had the same one since 1976 works great
The size is 4 tons with a 12" Stroke has work for ever thing I need

Dave

pretty easy to make a rotary broach for the lathe. you can make the cutters too. I'm no machinist and I was able to make one and some hex and square bit from drill rod.Mark

FYI the next is good arbor press
On small broach a drill press will work If you cut above 1/8" (3 mm) need a press
I have had the same one since 1976 works great
The size is 4 tons with a 12" Stroke has work for ever thing I need

Dave

Morning Dave, I have been on the lookout for a press for a long time, but like everything else, South Texas is not a very good place to look. Finally found a 3 ton press in Katy, Tx a week ago on Ebay. Was able to buy it for $150.00 in like new condition. It has a 12 inch. stroke as well. Hopefully will find a Broach set soon.

Bob

Great thread Bob. I was also wondering if you've considered using a rotary broach? Although limited to small shallow forms, they can be really handy on the mill or lathe, and are great for hex and square forms. Most of the cost is in the rotary broach holder. But after you have the holder, the cost of individual broaches is significantly less.

Never considered a rotary broach, not familiar with them at all. Might be something to look at. Thanks much.

You can make one using a Hydraulic cylinder use a adjustable relief value to save the broach
even a log splitter will work this not the best way to go
My brother use a Sledge Hammer with more than one broach not so good this way back in the 60's
To get my press , my father and my self drive 4 1/2 hours one way to LA to save the freight back in the 70's

Dave
Morning Dave, I have been on the lookout for a press for a long time, but like everything else, South Texas is not a very good place to look. Finally found a 3 ton press in Katy, Tx a week ago on Ebay. Was able to buy it for $150.00 in like new condition. It has a 12 inch. stroke as well. Hopefully will find a Broach set soon.

Bob

Back