Broach Sets ?

Thanks for the input fellows. Looks like the Dumont brand is very popular. I think I will try to find a set made by them and forget the import stuff. May wait till Enco has a 20% sale and buy new as opposed to taking a chance on Ebay stuff.

Don't know if it's the same in TX, but I see DuMont broach sets come up for sale on CraigsList in the Chicago area from time to time. I bought mine that way. That way you can see them and even hold them to make sure they're what you want before you pay. Prices vary, but I've seen some very good deals.

Best of luck,

GG

Don't know if it's the same in TX, but I see DuMont broach sets come up for sale on CraigsList in the Chicago area from time to time. I bought mine that way. That way you can see them and even hold them to make sure they're what you want before you pay. Prices vary, but I've seen some very good deals.

Best of luck,

GG

We never see anything like that on Craigs list down here. Mostly just junk box store stuff.

I haven't seen Hassay-Savage brand sets mentioned here---I bought my set 30 yrs ago used and I think it was rated as one of the best--I also know that DuMont is a good brand----anyone else have Hassay-Savage broach sets?--------
Dave

I haven't seen Hassay-Savage brand sets mentioned here---I bought my set 30 yrs ago used and I think it was rated as one of the best--I also know that DuMont is a good brand----anyone else have Hassay-Savage broach sets?--------
Dave

The only Hassay-Savage Broach sets I have ever seen were Keyway Broaches. Do you have square broaches? A pic would be great.

"Billy G"

I got a set of Enco 10/10A Broaches used on ebay, older set appears to be made by DuMont, in the same wooden box etc. Wish I had gotten a set much earlier in life, boy do they make the job of cutting keyways much easier!

Walter

A broach set has always been on my "to get" list. I have an assorted handful of broaches, but always end up not having what I need. So to the shaper I go. Works fine, slow as molasses in winter, and kind of difficult to work larger diameter pieces. Recently getting a bit of work from an air compressor service center, and doing some replacement sheaves and flywheels. And cutting new keyways a few degrees from the original sloppy one. I have used Dumont in the past, and always been satisfied with them.

The only Hassay-Savage Broach sets I have ever seen were Keyway Broaches. Do you have square broaches? A pic would be great.

"Billy G"
Bill---yes my set of Hassay-Savage broaches are the keyway set----I wish I had square and hex broaches also---I went to an Amish machine shop auction years ago and he had about 200 broaches of about every size and shape, and sorry the whole lot sold to someone with much more cash than I had to spend and he was probably a real machinist------still think of what I missed-------Dave

Still can't add pictures yet--I will as soon as I'm able to---Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE to get my hands on some square broaches. I've never even seen any for sale (used). I'm sure new ones are very pricey.

GG

Back