Broach Sets ?

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I have an ocassional need for a broach set but don't know too much about the different types available. Any you guys want to offer some advice on this subject.

The Dumont brand shows up a lot on Ebay and the prices are all over the board, even for the same set? Also would an import set like from Shars be any good at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

I don't have any experience with imported broaches, but if they are anything like the adjustable reamers I would shy away from them. A Broach is a tool that you want the best you can afford. All of mine are Dumont, even my key way Broaches. IMHO they are at the top of the heap.

"Billy G"

I agree with Bill on buying a quality broach set. This isn't an area you want to cheap out on. I don't have any experience with any of the imports but a co-worker of mine years ago told me to stay away from them as he hadn't seen any that were any good, I respected this man so I listened.

Hopefully someone with an import set will chime in with personal experience.

I have the smaller Dumont Minute Man broach set. I believe it is a 1/2" to 1-1/2" set with the standard broach sizes of 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8". I have had it for around six or so years and it was worth the money. It isn't something I used a lot but when I need it I can count on it to work flawlessly and not create more work or headache.

I can't speak for the Import set, but I also have a Dumont set (given to me) that works well. Can't say I have used it a lot, but when needed it works great. My set has bushings without the shoulders, so you need to be a little creative at times. I know I could always take the time to make up a set, and may do so, if it ever becomes an issue.

Paul

Remember also, those edges don't last forever. They will eventually need to be reground. The imports will probably not hold the edge as long as the Dumont broaches. If used correctly the Dumont set will probably outlive you.

"Billy G"

I've had my Dumont set for over 10 years, very satisfied with them.

what type of broach set are you looking for? Key seat, square, Hex

I have an import Enco set that I have had for several years. It has satisfied my needs. I did break one broach trying to broach a key in a 1.25" piece of cold rolled with a 20 ton press. Other than that I am satisfied. It is good enough for a hobbyist.

Randy

Remember also, those edges don't last forever. They will eventually need to be reground. The imports will probably not hold the edge as long as the Dumont broaches. If used correctly the Dumont set will probably outlive you.

"Billy G"

Ha, thats kinda funny Bill. Being I am 70 that may not be saying a whole lot. Just kidding. Haven't had much luck with any import tools I have bought since I got into this hobby. Probably will go with the Dumont broaches.
Thanks a lot.

Back