Brightest ceiling shop lights

I've got LED's all over my house now. I've found that because they're brighter, I often use a lower equivalent
wattage bulb and so save even more energy. Our kitchen has three fixtures that hang over the island in the middle.
When we bought the house each fixture had a 150W bulb in it. I replaced them with three 100W equivalent LED's that
burn about 11W each and are just as bright. My back of the envelope estimate is that I save almost $100.00 per year in
energy cost, and after seven years I still haven't replaced them. Another easy choice.

I've been doing the same thing in the house - replacing all the E27s with 60w equivalent. Makes quite a bit of difference, that's for sure.
Went through the basement and swapped out all the CCFLs. Wow, you can see a whole lot better.

I most definitely want to cut out the ballasts.

Beware the style of 'socket' bulb you buy - or 'how to pay attention' to packaging.
Picked one of these up at a Habitat ReStore.
-OOPS
Notice the socket style.

1226191746.jpg

With 60 watt equivalent A19 LED's going for less than $1, they are the clear choice for lighting. For the shop, I use 100 watt equivalent LED's because they offer the best Lumen/$ value. They put out about as much light as the 150 watt incandescent bulbs did and can be found on sale for around $1.50 each.

A thing to remember about LED lighting is that there are two terms for lighting efficiency; efficiency and efficacy. The first is the total lumens of light divided by the total watts used. The second is the total amount of useful light divided by the total watts used. There is a difference because incandescent bulbs are essentially 360º radiators while LED's emit light in a 120º cone. These can be modified somewhat by the design of the lighting device and/or the fixture but generally, LED's are better at producing useful light.

Another point to consider is that the price break in lumens per watt is determined by the efficiency of the LED. White LED's have improved from around 40 lumens/watt fifteen years ago to around 140 lumens/watt currently. This has benefited in two ways. It requires less driving power to produce the light and more energy goes into producing light vs. heat.

150 watt equivalent LED's still require a larger heat sink than will fit into the A19 incandescent envelope. As the efficiency increases, they will come down in price as well.

Wish we had Menards here in Arizona. I visited one a couple years ago, while on a trip to Indiana. Quite a store!

I've searched this site and googled all over the place. I find a lot of facts, figures and double talk (not here of course!) but never a direct answer. (note: the search engine here ignores "LED" because it does not have enough letters - so a search is a little hard. I think this has been answered, but I can't find the thread.)

What I want to know, preferably from someone who has first hand knowledge, is which light source is brightest. A 4', 2 bulb LED light or a 4', 2 bulb florescent light (T8 I think - the skinny ones)? I will be buying the most economical I can fine in Lowes, Menards or WalMart unless there is a good reason to buy something else. No reflector. Nothing fancy.

I have fairly good lighting in my shop with T8 (? see above) florescent lights. However I have 2 darker spots that need more light. I don't care which is initially cheaper, which is more economical to run, which comes to full brightness quickest, which is most eco-friendly or which needs more love. All I care about is which will shine more light on varying projects in that space of the shop? (Note; this is just floor space. A rolling work table may be positioned here (or not). For example, presently my motorcycle is on a lift and the right side is dark - other times there may be a work table here and the part on the table will be dark on one side, and other times a lawnmower on the floor with its right side completely dark.

If someone knowledgeable would just say "Buy the LEDs" or "Buy more florescents" that would be great.

Thanks!
After many failed attempts to retrofit my shop lights, I found these on Amazon $135 for a package of 6 lights AND THEY ARE GREAT
Sunco Lighting 6 Pack Flat LED Shop Light, 4 FT, Linkable Double Integrated LED, 40W=300W, 5000K Daylight, 4500 LM, Clear Lens, Plug in, Suspension Mount, Pull Chain, Garage - ETL + Energy Star

Wish we had Menards here in Arizona. I visited one a couple years ago, while on a trip to Indiana. Quite a store!
I don't think there is any reason you can't shop on line. Maybe shipping. I bought my Mr.Cool minisplit online from Menards. Free shipping and an 11% rebate made the cost of the 18KBtu less than a 12KBtu from another vendor. We bought 3 pallets of patio blocks on-line with the 11% rebate. We had to have them delivered anyway.

Their sale flyers come out every Sunday

I picked up one of the $20 4-footers at walmart and hung it up just after Christmas.
Gives off plenty of light by I have to say that I don't care for the 'un-frosted' type of tubes with the exposed LEDs.
Messes with my vision. If I look up to get something off a shelf, it kind of blinds be for a bit.
I'm thinking that 'frosted' would be better for me.

I just installed 12 of these from Amazon.
They have the frosted cover. Mounted about 18' from the ground. Looks to be plenty of light.
No special hardware to daisy chain for this particular model. I also like that I don't have to use the "clips" to mount them. Seen lots of negative feedback on the clips.

Linkable LED Utility Shop Light 4ft 4800 Lumens Super Bright 40W 5000K Daylight ETL Certified LED Garage Lights Fixture Durable LED Fixture with Pull Chain Mounting and Daisy Chain Hardware Included

Back