Brightest ceiling shop lights

I just starting replacing the $10 Lowes fixtures which they no longer carry. Took two T12 bulbs. The ballasts are going bad. I went with Sunco T8 5000K, 2200 LM. Here is link so you can look at specs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunco-Ligh...=26312305412552ec71ce43d2411881c5cc1092a83036

They are much brighter than florescent. So much so that I am not waiting for the old bulbs to go out completely. They take about ten minutes and 2 blue wire nuts to change over and remove the ballast. If you have hard wired ones, they may need the orange wire nut. I need some more for the shop and instead of buying new, I'm dumpster diving. Just got 3 fixtures for free, which makes the replacement cost about $13. The only requirement is that the bulb holder (called a tombstone) have separate wires to each pin (non shunted). Most are. If you boy replacement ones from the big box store, they are expensive. Careful shopping online, you can get them for less than a $1 each. Lighting looks like 4' pictured over tool box above. Daylight, 5000K seems to be brighter then Cool White, 4000K IMO.

Becarful buying replacement bulbs for fixtures. Some require the ballast to be there. Mine are "ballast bypass".
Charles

Chewy just for future reference when you link to an eBay item you can edit out all of the extra crap, all you need is the item number.
"https://www.ebay.com/itm/263123054125"

If you leave out the quotation marks that link will show like this on the forum post:

All the extra stuff is just their data gathering info that lets them know how you got to that page, i.e. what you searched for or what you clicked on.
Same for Amazon and most other shopping sites

Thank You!! Didn't know that. Got the first 10 from Amazon. They ran out so I bought this dozen from Ebay. Don't usually post links except to videos.

Walmart had a sale on 4000 lumen LED shop lights. I picked up 2. They are tremendously bright and light up all corners of my dim basement workshop. My only complaints are the cord is only 4' long and there is no diffuser over the LEDs so they are painful to look at.

The dotted LED string was installed previously and doesn't really add much.

The new lights are over the lathe (top right) and mill (top left).

image074.jpg

Chewy, or anyone, do you know what "Requires non-shunted tombstones, not included " means? It was in the description of the LEDs you linked. I have 4 tube troffers. The tombstones are the sockets, right? Not sure if my tombstones are shunted or not ...

Chewy, or anyone, do you know what "Requires non-shunted tombstones, not included " means? It was in the description of the LEDs you linked. I have 4 tube troffers. The tombstones are the sockets, right? Not sure if my tombstones are shunted or not ...
The only requirement is that the bulb holder (called a tombstone) have separate wires to each pin (non shunted).

I'm putting these everywhere.
You don't need a fixture. They come with everything to install them. Under $6 each in lot of 16 for the 4' 6000K ones (very bright).

I put some in a new commercial kitchen for a friend and every time his wife sees me she says "you light up my life".

I just got 16 more for myself. Ordered on the 8th and received on the 11th.

I'm putting these everywhere.
You don't need a fixture. They come with everything to install them. Under $6 each in lot of 16 for the 4' 6000K ones (very bright).

I put some in a new commercial kitchen for a friend and every time his wife sees me she says "you light up my life".

I just got 16 more for myself. Ordered on the 8th and received on the 11th.
AGCB97,
How do you install them? I have exposed beams that used to have fluorescent lights pointing up toward the cathedral ceiling. The beams are about 8-9' from the floor. I'm wondering if I should use the milky ones pointed to the floor, or point them toward the ceiling for indirect light. If I point them toward the ceiling, maybe the vee models would be better?

Also, how do you wire them? I have some junction boxes on the beams. I can either hard wire or install outlets.

Last edited:
Back