Brightest ceiling shop lights

It sounds like you have made your swap. LEDs are awesome, I have been replacing all of the lights in the house with LEDs. Started in 2012 and those initial bulbs are still going, have not had to replace one. At the time it was too expensive to go all LED, CFLs that I put in around the same time have failed and as they go are being replaced with LEDs.

LED prices have dropped quickly. I just bought an 8 pack of 60w LED bulbs for $13. Five years ago a single 60w LED bulb probably cost twice as much as that whole pack.

I have not tried the LED tubes. I replaced one 4 tube T12 unit with a twin tube T5 fixture which matches the light output and uses less power. This was probably 4 years ago when LED was far more expensive. If it is cool in the room the T5 can take a minute or two to reach full brightness, but it isn't usually that noticeable. I replaced a twin T12 unit in a large closet with a tube like LED tube fixture (two led strips) about 2 years ago.

I have become very enamored with track lighting in work spaces. It is cheap and easy to add lights to. You can combine light types as desired and even adjust on the fly by moving lights around. I have track lights over my work bench with a combination of spots, flood and standard bulbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_illumination Read the health effects, I think I struggled with Fatigue from too much illumination initially. It did affect me.

People are definitely reactive to light. I had not heard of this particular issue, but I've read about how lights coming through a window into a dark room can impact the quality of sleep. Light bothers me a lot when I'm trying to sleep, I like it pitch black, quiet and cold.

I've experienced the seasonal lighting issue when I worked in an office with poor lighting. During the summer I was outside quite a bit, but in the winter I was trapped in a small dark office with crummy fluorescent lighting. I had a noticeable lack of ability to focus on projects that would normally interest me. I swapped out the cheap florescent bulbs with daylight spectrum bulbs and the issue went away almost immediately.

I fall into no such thing as too much light when working. Glare however can be an issue. I definitely find myself getting fatigued more easily when I have to deal with a lot of glare. I wonder if they are really talking about glare when they say excessive lighting.

OK, I'm resurrecting this post to keep it in one place so to speak.
I've got (4) really neat dual 4'ers from a Western Electric plant - they have great reflectors on them.
Time to retro fit them.
The question I've got for you guys that have gone LED - is what 'color' should I go with?
I've been over to a friend's auto shop where they have re-done the 8' tubes with LED Daylights.
They're hard on my eyes.
Should I go with something lesser temp? My ceiling is only 8.5'
Also I have to convert these and they have oddball 'push' type sockets in them.
I'm trying to figure out which bulbs to purchase from the big box stores, so if anyone has any suggestions...
-or- do the big box stores even carry 'conversion' type bulbs?

...R_1217191714.jpg...R_1217191714a.jpg...R_1217191713.jpg

I bought some of these on a whim.

They work astonishingly well.

@Stonebriar great looking space! What kind of floor do you have?

Light spectrum is kind of personal, I really like daylight and full spectrum bulbs for work spaces. I find cool white to be kind of harsh and sterile, and soft white feels dim to me making it hard to read or look at small details even if from a bright bulb. Some really like soft white and don't care for the "brighter-whiter" light of daylights.

There are now color changing LED bulbs so you can adjust based on activity. Warm white for casual lighting, then switch to daylight for reading etc.

Considering the long life expectancy of LED bulbs, their fairly low price and huge variety of shapes and sizes these days I'm not sure the conversions are as practical as they first seem. Sure short term it is a bulb swap vs some minor electrical work and hauling the old fixtures off, but long term it my be better to just replace them with modern LED fixtures.

I have six 8 foot fixtures in my shop, I should say had because I was in the process of removing the 8' units and replaceing each one with two 4' LED fixtures. I was down to my last 3 8' fluorescent when I saw the 8' replacement LED's on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SUMEGSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about the same price as two 4' LED's so I bought 4 to retrofit two fixtures.

These new tubes are so bright they make the previous LED lights look yellow. It took some getting used to but it helps that I wear a ball cap in the shop. The only problem I'm running into at the moment is since I installed these tubes I get static from the FM radio across the room, and I also get random horizontal static lines on the shop TV. Both the radio and TV are on a completely separate circuit from the lights. Flick the lights off and the static goes away.
I have the same issue. I bought the cheap LEDs from menards. Now no fM.

I want to keep these (4) from Western Electric, just cause - well they're cool.
That and I've carted them all over for the last (30) years and the reflectors are nice. They've been in (5) shops so far.
Somehow or another I've misplaced two - I had six when I left SoCal in '89. :rolleyes:
So I want to do a conversion on them. They have heavy duty aluminum housings that were hard 'piped' with rigid conduit in the WE facility.

Back