Brightest ceiling shop lights

i don't think you can compare lighting from a photo. at least i can't. fwiw i have 9 t5's in the open area of my (16' ceiling) 4k (- the 1125 "machine room"' ) shop and with the exception of the parts mezzanine - where the lighting is blocked by pegboard - the shop is like high noon with the lights on.
separate "machine room", 9' ceiling, i use 10 - double 8' t-8's
no led for me

my brother's bodacious cabinet shop has t5's but only a 9' ceiling. the areas under the lights are like being in a dentist chair. but he likes it that way

Exactly. That is why I posted pictures with the f/c readings for factual data and representation. Although mine may be a little overkill based on the reactions I get when people come in it. My electrical buddy said he has illuminated and wired computer labs and medical facilities that don't have as much electrical and lighting as my shop. I think he was just trying to make me feel bad as I think my lighting is perfect, especially now that I am used to it.:congratulate:

Ultimately, the light I have in mine is not going to be achieved by cheap and inexpensive fixtures. I guess if you have every free square inch of ceiling lined it might come close but the OP asked in the title "brightest ceiling shop lights", not "somewhat bright and most inexpensive".:cool:

Mike

There is a drawback to too much light. You get tired more easily. When I first built my shop, I felt that way. Things have gotten better as more light absorbing stuff was added.

Lights are done - Have pictures

First, after closer inspection I found that I had a equal mixture of T12 and T8 florescent lights.
The first drawing is the light layout before adding the LEDs, the second after I rearranged the south lights and added the 2 LEDS (circled in red). The LEDs are from Lowes and are "Utilitech Pro Strip Shop Light (Common: 4-ft; Actual: 3.23-in x 48.03-in)". The description is:
  • Use 38% less energy than its equivalent fluorescent light fixture
  • Rated operational lifetime 35,000 hours and 5-year limited warranty
  • Provides 3600 lumens using 40 watts
  • Linkable ends with included adapter
  • For use with non-dimmable switches only
  • Light color temperature 4000K (bright white)
  • Energy Star and UL rated for damp locations
  • Durable metal frame housing construction
old lights.jpg new lights.jpg

The following "Before and After" pictures were all taken with the camera set with the same shutter speed and F-stop and near the same position. (The camera also set itself to manual focus which I didn't pay much attention to). Compare the shadows and darker areas from one similar picture to another.

0609.jpg 0619.jpg

0611.jpg 0622.jpg

0612.jpg 0623.jpg

0613.jpg 0624.jpg

As you can see, the 2 new fixtures really helped with my dark spots.
Would a pair of T8 florescent lights make more or less difference? Don't know. I'm too lazy (and broke) to take these down and put up a couple of T8s for comparison. As far as I am concerned the LEDs do a good job. As good as, if not better than T8s at a comparable price.

The real bummer is that is 72 degrees out with hardly any wind (in Kansas? - unheard of) and my bike is on the bench and nowhere near even started with valve adjustment or timing belt replacement. I do have the new tires, chain & sprockets on.

When I get the 3 cylinder diaphragm pump that is on the bench done I will not take anymore work until I finish my bike (famous last words).

Nice shop. The LED's are definetly brighter. At work, they put high end units in. And we were all squinting for a while.

There is a drawback to too much light. You get tired more easily. When I first built my shop, I felt that way. Things have gotten better as more light absorbing stuff was added.

You think?? I dunno maybe. I'm not a expert on it but to me brighter would keep you awake better. Hope I don't start dozing off !!

Ii just finished replacing all my flouresents with LED, I didn't think to take before and after shots but my shop is a lot brighter. I got mine from 1000Bulbs.com. $103.84 plus shipping for a case of 16. I have 9 ft. ceilings and the fixtures are 4 ft apart.

Groundhog, lights look good. Definitely an improvement.

As for having too much light, I haven't seen it.:grin big: We put all new LED's in at work and the warehouse workers love them although there were a few comments early on about it being very bright. That went away after about week # 2.

In my personal shop I can't imagine going back to less light. Even my cousin and buddies give me **** when they come over because they said they feel like they are in a cave when they go back to their own shops. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I didn't retro bright LED's into an existing shop, I installed them from new so I have no exact comparison of a before and after, maybe that is the difference.

Mike

Back