Brazilian Cherry floor !

Boy prices have skyrocketed I did my house 20 years ago 3/4" x2 1/4 oak beveled edge .98 cent/ sq. foot. At the time it was cheaper than carpet

Is each board beveled as in pre finished?
Since almost all our floors are solid wood 3/4" thick, my wife likes the solid wood.
Lots of pipes and a radiator that will need to be cut around with a jigsaw or band saw.
Probably 20% waste.
I would imagine not too much waste with a laminate.

Beveled on the edges and between each "plank" to look more realistic than the cheap flat photographic finish

Like this:

Beveled on the edges and between each "plank" to look more realistic than the cheap flat photographic finish

Like this:
Thanks
Looks beautiful !

I installed about 1200' of beveled 10-12mm laminate ~ 20 years ago for 1.50/sqft and it still looks new.

I got a smoking deal on some Home Depot flooring for a 12x12’ office...it’s already peeling up, looks terrible. I guess $0.69 a square foot doesn’t go as far as it used to. :)

This ain't good news. My wife wants me to extend the hardwood into the kitchen and family room. Gonna need a little more than 500 SF.

Wood is crazy high right now. The local home store wants over $600 per linear foot of kitchen cabinets. Doesn't include countertops.

That's a lot of money. When we did our 1904 kitchen upgrade, I made the cabinets out of hard maple and a Kreg pocket hole jig and a jig for building a face frame for the farm sink.
It was a built in and I added a turning in the outer corner.
We did the floor out of Brazilian Cherry 3/4" by 3" face and finished with "Tried and True" finish oil.
we did a drop ceiling with plaster tiles to add dimension.
We just paid what I really did not want to do.
2" thick maple as a counter for the sink.
What saves us was the small size of a 1904
kitchen.
Maybe only 150 sf, with 3 doors and two windows.

You guys are complaining about the wood prices in March. You should see what 8/4 walnut is going for now. $15 bd ft!
I ran 730 sq ft of hickory, on our Weinig molder, to replace the floor in part of our house a year ago. We don't get a lot of call for hickory but I like the variations in color and the fact that it is quite hard. I retired from my woodworking business but still have access to all the equipment. Will be making new kitchen cabinets to be installed in June. Wife hasn't decided what face material yet. Boxes will be 3/4" melamine bd. CNC'd, 2mm PVC banding on an automatic bander. Doweled on a CNC bore and insert machine, case clamped. Drawers in same material clamped in a pneumatic drawer clamp. All the hardware attachment holes are put in by the CNC router. It's all the same system we use for commercial work. Rectangular parts not needing detailing are cut on the Schelling CNC beam saw. All machine code is downloaded directly to the machines from the office. The result is fast, accurate and strong. Plywood is rarely used because of poor thickness tolerances, core voids and not being flat.

The good old days of manual woodworking died a long time ago for production work. I still occasionally make a piece of furniture the old fashioned way. I'll hand grind shaper knives and do curved moldings just for the fun of it. We still have a full set of manual machines and I have hand tools.

Back