Brazilian Cherry floor !

Cr2348455

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone
I have a 300 sf area that is getting covered with
3/4" by 3" face tongue and groove strip flooring.
2012 it sold for twice the price of red oak.
Just got quote at $18.00 a sf.
Pandemic prices or just the market ?
j

Most lumber prices have at least doubled if not more for common lumber.

Hi everyone
I have a 300 sf area that is getting covered with
3/4" by 3" face tongue and groove strip flooring.
2012 it sold for twice the price of red oak.
Just got quote at $18.00 a sf.
Pandemic prices or just the market ?
j
We did some Santos Mahogany (aka Cabreuva) last spring and faced the same relative prices. These were the last rooms to complete in the house so we sucked it up and flashed the credit card. Very happy with the looks but...YOW, the price.

BTW, the hardwood took a very long time to acclimate to the moisture level in the house. Even after about 3 weeks acclimating, individual boards were measurably narrower at the ends (where the moisture had escaped) and fatter in the middle. Was going to be nearly impossible to install in straight rows. However, it happened that Covid struck and we couldn't get the flooring installed for further 3 months. By that time, the moisture levels had equalized and the variance in width was much less. Not perfect but a good installer was able to work around it.

Craig
(The rule of thumb is the harder the wood, the more it expands and contracts with moisture. This wood is _very_ hard.)

I don't see any pics. It doesn't happen without pics.
Sounds like beautiful flooring.

Most lumber prices have at least doubled if not more for common lumber.
Steve,
We were just talking about it. For some reason we are getting gouged more than the rest of the country.
That same piece of 1/2" OSB was $36 at Lowes and it was half that in PA.
Why?
Lumber, metal, all materials have doubled -tripled in the last few years.

We did some Santos Mahogany (aka Cabreuva) last spring and faced the same relative prices. These were the last rooms to complete in the house so we sucked it up and flashed the credit card. Very happy with the looks but...YOW, the price.

BTW, the hardwood took a very long time to acclimate to the moisture level in the house. Even after about 3 weeks acclimating, individual boards were measurably narrower at the ends (where the moisture had escaped) and fatter in the middle. Was going to be nearly impossible to install in straight rows. However, it happened that Covid struck and we couldn't get the flooring installed for further 3 months. By that time, the moisture levels had equalized and the variance in width was much less. Not perfect but a good installer was able to work around it.

Craig
(The rule of thumb is the harder the wood, the more it expands and contracts with moisture. This wood is _very_ hard.)
Thanks for the info:
I will be installing, after a few rooms of Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba), I got the hang of it.
I always buy well before installing, usually 2-3 months.
Some boards are just too warped to even try.
This time I will try one of those flooring clamps.
This is the last room to do on the first floor.
I usually put 3/4" plywood down first, but will have to skip that and put it down on our yellow pine T and G subfloor.
I like to finish with the same wood for base shoe molding.
Will get to use the molding machine again.
Then will finish with Tried and True oil.
Hope Woodcraft still sells it.
This is room used to be the Parlor, back in 1904.
For many years this room served as a safe haven for some rescued lab non human primates.
For the first time since 1985, can finally finish this room.
j

I installed about 1200' of beveled 10-12mm laminate ~ 20 years ago for 1.50/sqft and it still looks new.

Thanks for the info:
I will be installing, after a few rooms of Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba), I got the hang of it.
I always buy well before installing, usually 2-3 months.
Some boards are just too warped to even try.
This time I will try one of those flooring clamps.
This is the last room to do on the first floor.
I usually put 3/4" plywood down first, but will have to skip that and put it down on our yellow pine T and G subfloor.
I like to finish with the same wood for base shoe molding.
Will get to use the molding machine again.
Then will finish with Tried and True oil.
Hope Woodcraft still sells it.
This is room used to be the Parlor, back in 1904.
For many years this room served as a safe haven for some rescued lab non human primates.
For the first time since 1985, can finally finish this room.
j
Be aware that brazilian cherry turns a muddy darker color with time and exposure to sun. You can finish with a spar varnish that has uv inhibitors, like
epifanes. https://www.amazon.com/Epifanes-Clear-Varnish-1000-ml/dp/B005ADWKTG/?tag=marinetalking-20

Is each board beveled as in pre finished?
Since almost all our floors are solid wood 3/4" thick, my wife likes the solid wood.
Lots of pipes and a radiator that will need to be cut around with a jigsaw or band saw.
Probably 20% waste.
I would imagine not too much waste with a laminate.

Back