Bozos And Horror Stories

The last time I used a pair of needle nose pliers to install drum brake springs on the back of a jeep, was the last time I used the "wrong" tool ever.
This particular slip provided me with a new scar about 2" above my right eye.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I might as well chime in also,years ago in my teens I'm 64 now so it was a while ago I worked in a machine shop running a punch press a very satisfying mindless job where the man with three fingers on his right hand set up a press where I would put my hand in the press and hold the part until the rotation was complete I looked at this guy and realize why he was missing 3 fingers so with a lot of hesitation I did this a couple of times until the foreman came around boy was I glad to see him and stopped this insanity, I quit soon after and would never take a job running a punch press again ,still scared of punch presses to this day. Rick
Even if he didn't lose his fingers on that exact machine, there's little chance he lost them through some other kind of behavior. Some people just can't be taught, even the hard way.

Had to post this...

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

Looks like this "problem" has been solved a number of ways over time...

hammer-wrench.jpg

-Ron
Looks like a monkee wrench.

Have a few and all similar design.

Adjustable jaw and a hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

hammer-wrench.jpg

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

hammer-wrench.jpg

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

hammer-wrench.jpg

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

hammer-wrench.jpg

31CE70_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

hammer-wrench.jpg

Know a guy replacing the upper cylinder on his backhoe. Holes on the backhoe arms didn't line up quite right. Guy pulled the drift pin, stuck his two fingers in to check the edges to see how far off they were...the strap holding the bucket let loose...he lost the ends of two fingers. My buddy told me there was a chain in the bucket...probably wouldn't have been cut on the edge of the hydraulic cylinder body like the nylon strap was.

Most accidents were never accidents to begin with.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When I worked in an US Army machine shop I ordered some silver solder . And when it did not get to the machine shop, about a month later I found the supply room was using it for bailing wire.
jimsehr

I remember someone who had worked for a company that made components for the military. The maintenance guys needed a shim & cut through the wire mesh on the security crib. Then they took a serialized government tag costing serious money and did their shimming. A very expensive shim!

I remember someone who had worked for a company that made components for the military. The maintenance guys needed a shim & cut through the wire mesh on the security crib. Then they took a serialized government tag costing serious money and did their shimming. A very expensive shim!
Well how were they supposed to know it was valuable or important?!? ;)

Last edited:
The first machining job I had...well the second come to think of it, the engineer for the company told me they (whoever they are, Cresent, General, Craftsman, etc.) spent years trying to find a way to incorporate a hammer into an adjustable wrench. Never did get it to work. He told me this after just witnessing me tapping on some something with my adjustable wrench.

Go figure!

Guilty!;)
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/WRENCH-MINERS-HAMMER-HEAD/_/R-RASRS12H

http://catalogue.acklandsgrainger.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.7.18&BookCode=emc15&pagelabel=79&lang=enu

12HF42_AS01.JPG

12HF42_AS01.JPG

12HF42_AS01.JPG

12HF42_AS01.JPG

12HF42_AS01.JPG

12HF42_AS01.JPG

During my apprenticeship, in the early 1970s, the company installed some German "automatic" machines, (automatic in that when a part rolled in and tripped the limit switch, the machine did its job and that rotor rolled on to the next station.) The installation crew came with the machines, and our company hired a translator. an ex-patriot German who had left Germany in the 1930s to Canada. During the installation period I got to know "Johnny." At one time during the war, he had been working (in Canada) in a munitions plant making BIG guns. I never found how large the guns were but the Lathe operator rode in a saddle on the carriage. At one time, he had come on shift just as the previous operator had placed a new barrel in the lathe. Johnny asked him if it was secure. "Yup, its ready to go," he was told. He climbed up in the saddle and started the spindle and engaged the tool, turning the diameter. The previous operator had done everything right except engage the tailstock. As soon as the tool engaged in the work, the barrel came out of the chuck and landed in Johnny's lap, before knocking him to the floor. He, of course, survived, but both thighs had been broken. By the 'seventies, he had completely healed, had no limp, but he told me to always check if a part is really secure in what ever machine I was running.

Back