Bozos And Horror Stories

He also used the black powder in his civl war cannon. My dad, one to never let an opportunity to suggest someone else do something incredibly stupid suggested to this gentleman that if beer cans shredded from the ignition, to fill them with concrete Yes, beer WAS involved in this discussion. The next thing I know, I'm reading in the paper about a woman's house getting hit by a concrete filled beer can that came careening through her house and landed in front of her TV... Of course, there was a HUGE cloud of black smoke that was kind hard to hide from!

I knew a guy who was a Revolutionary War re-enactor artillerist. He used paper cups as blank wadding I guess during battles. But he also used cement filled beer cans to knock down trees for fire wood. Of course he did this on his own land and in direct fire mode.

When I worked in an US Army machine shop I ordered some silver solder . And when it did not get to the machine shop, about a month later I found the supply room was using it for bailing wire.
jimsehr

Local factory I had done some work in had a "machinist" chuck a 2"x48" shaft in a lathe without supporting the far end. It started to wobble and hit him in the head. Dead on the spot.

There was a guy at a cabinet shop I worked at that used to spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer while smoking.... yup, there was a fire a big fire! Somehow he lived through it though. That was 26 years ago I wonder if he's still alive?

Forgot about ratchets. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen a ratchet used as a hammer. My right eye twitches every time........

My adjustable wrench gets used as a tap hammer every time I loosen the draw bar on the mill to get the end mill loose from the collet!
And I've taken my share of screwdrivers back to Sears for replacements, too!

My mentor / teacher /Uncle who taught me machining would always tell me the right way to do things but would not do them himself. First rule was never leave the chuck wrench in the chuck.Every morning I would come in and it was in the chuck. One morning before work he called and asked me to bring a ladder to the shop with me. When I got there and asked him why? He pointed to a hole in the ceiling and told me to go up on the roof and shove the chuck wrench back down and fix the hole in the roof. Now most normal people would learn from that but not my Uncle the next day when I got to work that damn thing was in the chuck. When I asked him about it he told me i would learn better from his bad behavior to do it the right way...bass akwards I will admit but I have never left the key in the chuck to this day. I'm guilty of using it to tap on a work piece to true it up before I cinch it down while turning slow.
*G*

I might as well chime in also,years ago in my teens I'm 64 now so it was a while ago I worked in a machine shop running a punch press a very satisfying mindless job where the man with three fingers on his right hand set up a press where I would put my hand in the press and hold the part until the rotation was complete I looked at this guy and realize why he was missing 3 fingers so with a lot of hesitation I did this a couple of times until the foreman came around boy was I glad to see him and stopped this insanity, I quit soon after and would never take a job running a punch press again ,still scared of punch presses to this day. Rick

When I worked in an US Army machine shop I ordered some silver solder . And when it did not get to the machine shop, about a month later I found the supply room was using it for bailing wire.
jimsehr
Oh that's hilarious! And the timing is funny, as I was just shopping for silver solder this morning for an upcoming project. I kept thinking, "this stuff is definitely more expensive than electrical solder." :)

Back