Bozos And Horror Stories

Every breaker should have a number. Every outlet should be labeled with the number of the breaker controlling it. The label can be behind the cover in a residence. It's also useful to make a map and put it in the panel.

Yep. It also should have a ground wire connected to every outlet and light fixture, and not be wired through lamp cords plugged into other outlets. That's precisely why I posted this in precisely this thread. Because it was a bozo that wired it up, and did not label the breakers. We have corrected that as we have traced and/or replaced the wiring.

I imagine the reasoning is, closets sometimes get crammed full of stuff and some electrical device plugged in there could easily get buried and overheat.... Also, the codes were probably implemented long before the wave of rechargeable devices, thus no reasonable need for an outlet in a closet was envisioned.
I don't think there's any problem in having an outlet in a closet as long as proper sense is used.

Without an actual code citation it's just tribal knowledge and myth. After you stated that earlier I searched and all I found were more anecdotal claims, and one guy who actually cited a section of the NEC which lists closets among the places where a particular outlet wiring rule applied. The rule was not "don't wire an outlet in any of these places."

The most logical explanation I can think of is that some electrician at some point didn't feel like doing the work to install an outlet in a particular closet and claimed that it was against code (or in some more specific rule it was against code, but it was mistakenly applied to all closets) and it's just been passed around that way ever since. It wouldn't be the first time a "code" was "cited" for such purposes.

I asked my electrician, he said it is definitely not allowed here in NYC but is allowed under the NEC.

Back