Boring out a MT2 to R8

Gee wizz man, lighten up. It's fine to ask questions. Just tell folks what you want to do and give us an idea of what equipment you have to work with -and folks will give you a push in the right direction.

Ray

+1

Hey, we're here to help each other. Questions are not a problem.

Thank you all for your help and support. I hope in time I can help someone out and add to the forum. :))

Tackit--none of us knew what all the tools were for before we started projects and asked others questions.--It's a lot worse not to ask and never learn or get hurt with new tools--by all the questions--we all learn others opinions and other ways of accomplishing tasks--you showed with your forge pictures that you will learn to use machine tools easily--I'm 69 and still have a lot to learn with others help. keep making those nice projects---Dave

I jus went ahead and bought the 3/4 chuck, I'm so lost I hate to post questions, they are so stupid I confuse even you with experience..

I don't think I'm smart enough for machine work . I get so depressed and confused there are times I wish I never bought my lathe and tools. I sure hope the chuck will take care of holding problems.

I haven't a clue what tools do so even when I look in catalogs I'm guessing what a tool is used for and the prices very so much for the same tool it's a bad joke that injects even more uncertainty. .. I can't bother everyone every time something comes up. I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help, I hope I didn't waste any of you good peoples valuable time. tackit.

You'd be very surprised what you can pick up on youtube. I've been watching Keith Fenner, OxToolco, and doubleboost in particular and I've learned a LOT from them. I think the key to learning this stuff is to absorb as much general information as you can, even if it has nothing to do with a problem or a project you're working on at the moment. Watching these guys complete their own projects has exposed me to a lot of things I never even knew existed. The more you're exposed to other people doing good work, the more tools you'll have in your mental tool box for your own work.

Thank you all for your help and support. I hope in time I can help someone out and add to the forum. :))

Just by asking questions you are help others. These are good questions and this forum is full of beginners and are learning right along with ya. Bear in mind there is also more than one way to do things in this hobby and most of the time the best way is your way.

Oh, and welcome to the fun. Glad to see you found us, Jim. :thumbsup:

By the way, that's a nice looking shop you have there.

Thanks steve. It gives me allot of enjoyment.

Some pictures of the shop and wheels I made for my welding cart. The crane on the welding table is now air driven, it works real well for maintaining my generators, power washer, wheeled trimmer, mower decks and everything else that's heavy and easier to work on on the bench. The table is bolted to the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Tackit--none of us knew what all the tools were for before we started projects and asked others questions.--It's a lot worse not to ask and never learn or get hurt with new tools--by all the questions--we all learn others opinions and other ways of accomplishing tasks--you showed with your forge pictures that you will learn to use machine tools easily--I'm 69 and still have a lot to learn with others help. keep making those nice projects---Dave

Thank you Dave, I appreciate your kind words.

- - - Updated - - -

There is good people here, never saw," that is a stupid question" , ask away, I know I have and will continue too.

Thanks to you too Chester.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd be very surprised what you can pick up on youtube. I've been watching Keith Fenner, OxToolco, and doubleboost in particular and I've learned a LOT from them. I think the key to learning this stuff is to absorb as much general information as you can, even if it has nothing to do with a problem or a project you're working on at the moment. Watching these guys complete their own projects has exposed me to a lot of things I never even knew existed. The more you're exposed to other people doing good work, the more tools you'll have in your mental tool box for your own work.

Good points and advice pestilence, thank you.

IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0754.JPG

That's a nice working space you got there. Say, I have a question. I see the main frame of the building is wood but, is that a metal-clad outside? I've been wondering about those steel pre-fabricated structures and wonder if there's any advantage and/or big cost difference going from all steel to wood/steel?

Ray

Just by asking questions you are help others. These are good questions and this forum is full of beginners and are learning right along with ya. Bear in mind there is also more than one way to do things in this hobby and most of the time the best way is your way.

Oh, and welcome to the fun. Glad to see you found us, Jim. :thumbsup:

Thank you Randy, more good advice, I'm a bit confused and don't like it.... my hobby welding seems easy compared to hobby machine work, I guess I'm going to have to ease up a bit and take my time learning the tools and what they can do...

Hope you have been well Randy, it's been awhile since I talked you last. Thanks for the encouragement.

Back