Boring out a MT2 to R8

tackit

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if I ordered a new sleeve for my Lathemaster's tailstock if I could have it bored out to accept R8 tooling? thanks

IMG_0953.JPG

Tackit--I don't think the sleeve would be big enough since r8 is larger than mt2--also r8 would not have the gripping and no way to use a draw bar for snugging it up

Tackit--I don't think the sleeve would be big enough since r8 is larger than mt2--also r8 would not have the gripping and no way to use a draw bar for snugging it up
Thanks Dave, I'm new at this and appreciate all of you with knowledge helping me. :))

Dave if I bought this chuck what else would I have to do and buy to mount it in my MT2 tailstock ? thanks http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

I'm not sure if you mean the three jaw or 4 jaw shown, but someone with a lathe like yours could probably tell you.---don't you have a three jaw chuck with your lathe? Dave

after looking again, I see you are looking at your tailstock--these chucks would not work in your tailstock--you would have to explain what you are wanting to do with your tailstock--they do make mt2 adaptors for small chucks like er series type or you can get a jacobs three jaw chuck with a mt2 taper to hold drill bits --Dave

Last edited:
If you absolutely had to use an R-8 tool in the tail stock you could make a MT to R-8 adapter. You would have to use a cap screw in the back end of it to lock the R-8 tool into the adapter in place of a draw bar. It certainly would end up being specific tooling....

What I am confused about is "why"

I have done this stuff since I was a teenager and have never needed or wanted to put an R-8 in the tailstock.... MT's are hard enough to keep from spinning some times.

Just recently I also needed to use a 1" reamer. I set it up between centers and turned it down enough to fit my Jacobs #18 chuck, which has an MT2 arbor on it.

tackit,

I think we're all scratching our heads a little on this. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mount a three jaw chuck in the tail stock. Assuming you have a three jaw on the head stock, you've got way to much potential runout to use a reamer effectively. I assume the keyless chuck on your tail stock won't open to 3/4"?

Do you really need to ream the hole? I understand that some close tolerance fits need to be reamed. Are you sure you can't just use a good boring bar and bore the hole to size. Maybe if we knew a little more about what your trying to do we could offer more suggestions.

Steve

Back