Boring out a MT2 to R8

Im sorry my ignorance is causing you good people consternation, I'm so confused and out of my field I can't even explain well what I'm up against or trying to accomplish..

What I'm trying to do is run my 1" reamer through some 2 X 2 3/8 thick rounds I have to build spoke wheels.... the rounds are the hubs/boss. They get a 3/4" ID X 1.002 OD brass bushing.

I use the reamer to ream the holes for the bushings and a 3/4 reamer after I set the bushings to get them back to 3/4 in. this done on my Mill. But It's winter now and I want to use the lathe down in my basement where it's warm.

Thanks I like schor's Drill chuck Idea, I think I'm going to go with it.

These pictures of the wheels I built for my forge may help clear up what I'm trying to do.

IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

I really like the forge. How hot can you get it? Dou use a bellows or pipe in compressed air? and what are you using to fuel it wood, coal or gas? Thanks!!!

Bob

I am still confused...Are you trying to use an R-8 drill chuck to hold the reamer?

If you have an mt2 shank you can easily make an end mill holder to mount the reamer.

If you haven't already bought the reamer, get a MT2 shank reamer.

What kind of tolerances do you need for these reamed holes? If you're just trying to open-up the diameters for a press fit, you could just use a boring bar.

Ray

I really like the forge. How hot can you get it? Dou use a bellows or pipe in compressed air? and what are you using to fuel it wood, coal or gas? Thanks!!!

Bob

Bob I haven't fired it up yet, can't get coal where I'm at... closest place is a 4 hr round trip... In December I have to make a trip that way and I plan on buying some. $10 for a 5 gallon bucket of it.

I'll post some pics of what I did for the blower and the grating, which is a 6 5/8 X 1/4" thick cast iron drain cover.

The blower speed is controlled by a $35 made for fans switch. I tried a light switch dimmer but it wouldn't work.

IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0492.JPG

I jus went ahead and bought the 3/4 chuck, I'm so lost I hate to post questions, they are so stupid I confuse even you with experience..

I don't think I'm smart enough for machine work . I get so depressed and confused there are times I wish I never bought my lathe and tools. I sure hope the chuck will take care of holding problems.

I haven't a clue what tools do so even when I look in catalogs I'm guessing what a tool is used for and the prices very so much for the same tool it's a bad joke that injects even more uncertainty. .. I can't bother everyone every time something comes up. I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help, I hope I didn't waste any of you good peoples valuable time. tackit.

Gee wizz man, lighten up. It's fine to ask questions. Just tell folks what you want to do and give us an idea of what equipment you have to work with -and folks will give you a push in the right direction.

Ray

I jus went ahead and bought the 3/4 chuck, I'm so lost I hate to post questions, they are so stupid I confuse even you with experience..

I don't think I'm smart enough for machine work . I get so depressed and confused there are times I wish I never bought my lathe and tools. I sure hope the chuck will take care of holding problems.

I haven't a clue what tools do so even when I look in catalogs I'm guessing what a tool is used for and the prices very so much for the same tool it's a bad joke that injects even more uncertainty. .. I can't bother everyone every time something comes up. I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help, I hope I didn't waste any of you good peoples valuable time. tackit.

Back