Bore Finishing On A 7x14

One thing missing is heat fins.

Flame lockers are sirling cycle engines that suck in hot air then a flap valve covers the intake vent then heat is absorbed and dissipated by the cylinder causing air volume to shrink drawing piston in.

Last one we saw some years ago was brass with fins cut like a motorcycle engine.

You can use the tube above as is just clean up the bore then make a heat sink that fits over the cylinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

One thing missing is heat fins.

Flame lockers are stirling cycle engines that suck in hot air then a flap valve covers the intake vent then heat is absorbed and dissipated by the cylinder causing air volume to shrink drawing piston in.

Last one we saw some years ago was brass with fins cut like a motorcycle engine.

You can use the tube above as is just clean up the bore then make a heat sink that fits over the cylinder.
I wondered how long it would be before that was suggested. Absolutely right, the movement depends on heat dissipation allowing contraction so logically fins or liquid cooling should benefit running. I'd actually chosen this design specifically because it lacked fins (hence my concerns over not using cast iron), only real reasons for that being simplicity and I lack a cutter for fin or cut off work.

There is something a little cockeyed about finding a tube suitable to get around the boring issues, then making and boring a nicely fitting finned sleeve for same.

Last edited:
Using a tube would be same as the sleeve in an engine...Better material control for a servicable part.

Now locating something to make the heat dissipation unit...

You could find old radio parts or chunk of something to start with.

Cut off tool is not that difficult to make.

And fit and finish of the bore for the tube not critical either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back