Bob Shores Eagle Hit/Miss Engine Build Thread

I always have to ask the obvious questions. Did you have a ground connection back to the coil negative so that the spark had a return path? I have often seen that connection missed when mocking up something.

I always have to ask the obvious questions. Did you have a ground connection back to the coil negative so that the spark had a return path? I have often seen that connection missed when mocking up something.

This is the wiring diagram I used.

IMG_20200731_083714.jpg

I presumed it was pretty close, since I could get the spark plug WIRE to spark (albeit lightly?) against the frame, but apparently not for the spark plug itself. I wondered if the ignition coil that I used just wasn't a good choice.

It is easily missed in that diagram. Do you have a wire that goes from the frame/engine back to the battery negative? This wire is not shown as a wire in the diagram, it is inferred by showing the ground symbol near the battery and another ground symbol at the frame.

Remove plug and with wire attached place in engine to observe spark.

Plug could be shorted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It is easily missed in that diagram. Do you have a wire that goes from the frame/engine back to the battery negative? This wire is not shown as a wire in the diagram, it is inferred by showing the ground symbol near the battery and another ground symbol at the frame.

Is it not the bottom wire? I've got 1 wire going from frame->contact->battery. I used a multimeter to go from the negative battery to frame at one point and go 0 Ohm.

Remove plug and with wire attached place in engine to observe spark.

Plug could be shorted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Perhaps? I've ordered another plug to see :/ I HAVE been seeing spark from the plug-wire to the frame (I think I may have worded it differently above?), but it seemed weak.

Then you should be good on the wiring.
Do you know if the coil you are using has an internal resistor or if it requires an external resistor? I can not say that I have ever seen a motorcycle coil that needed an external resistor, but I am no bike expert, Auto coils I know are available for internal or external resistors.

From what I can see in the pics of the coil it is not marked for +/-. try reversing the leads to the coil and see if that helps. Most ignition coils have one end of the sencondary internally connected to one of the 2 terminals, so polarity does matter.

From what I can see in the pics of the coil it is not marked for +/-. try reversing the leads to the coil and see if that helps. Most ignition coils have one end of the sencondary internally connected to one of the 2 terminals, so polarity does matter.
Yep, tried that too. It made no difference. I also tried removing the capacitor, and had verified that it worked with a multimeter.

That exhausts my ideas for now. I hope the new one works out, I am as anxious to see this run as much as you are.

Back