Belt or disc

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a disc sander that I bought 3 or 4 years ago from marketplace. It is in very good shape I just need to put a sanding disc on it. My question is why many so have belt sanders over disc sanders. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

I prefer belt for faster stock removal.

The MultiTool that came on my 6” Jet bench grinder has belt and disk sander. I don’t leave the belt on it as 99% of the time the wire brush or the disk sander does the jobs I need. I have a new HD cast iron rest on the disk with a nice miter gauge and it even more handy. I use high end disks and the first one has lasted me for over a year now.

sometimes the non backed belt is an advantage for curved materials.

I picked up a Rockford with both . Both are used for wood lately .

C-Bag do you remember what brand and grit you have been using ? The ones I’m using on my little disc / belt sander don’t last long at all

For woodworking, a disc gives a more controlled straight cut. The belt floats a little so you may get a slight rounding.
I don't use my disc as much as my 6x48 belt for WW. I use a separate Alum Ox belt for Metal on it. I don't use the zirconia on metal.
For metal I use my 1x41

The larger the length of belt the cooler the cutting.

C-Bag do you remember what brand and grit you have been using ? The ones I’m using on my little disc / belt sander don’t last long at all
Al, are you using quality belts? I have been buying Klingspor belts. Nice.. I also have some Freud belts that are very nice as well. But I have more Klingspor than Freud.

Damn, just measured my 1x4? turns out it is 42.5 my memory said 41, wrong again.

The MultiTool that came on my 6” Jet bench grinder has belt and disk sander. I don’t leave the belt on it as 99% of the time the wire brush or the disk sander does the jobs I need. I have a new HD cast iron rest on the disk with a nice miter gauge and it even more handy. I use high end disks and the first one has lasted me for over a year now.
My disc is 12 " I too would be interested in what brand and where you get yours.

Back