Beginning hobbyist lathe options-first post!!!

Be aware that the lathes with the enclosed gearboxs need gear changes for the range of common inch threads and feeds. The ones with the open Norton gearbox (4002-3 series) will do 4 to 112 TPI with no gear changes. Even these machines, however, need some gear changes for metric. I don't know if this matters to you but it was a game changer for me.
That's one of the pluses of the universal gear box in the G0709. There are no additional change gears to fiddle with. The full range does require a gear swap on the quadrant for around >13 tpi as opposed to <13 tpi. One knob changes between English and Metric which was one of the selling points for me. I think it's the G0750 from Grizzly that has a really bad qcgb for gear changes. Pretty much have to fiddle with change gears in the quadrant when going between commons like 13, 16, 18 and 20. I'd pass on that lathe for that reason.

Bruce

That's one of the pluses of the universal gear box in the G0709. There are no additional change gears to fiddle with. The full range does require a gear swap on the quadrant for around >13 tpi as opposed to <13 tpi. One knob changes between English and Metric which was one of the selling points for me. I think it's the G0750 from Grizzly that has a really bad qcgb for gear changes. Pretty much have to fiddle with change gears in the quadrant when going between commons like 13, 16, 18 and 20. I'd pass on that lathe for that reason.

Bruce
Bruce, how do you mainly use your G0709? Is your setup single phase , have you modified anything from original?

Mine is a stock single phase. I changed the clutch-style micrometer dial to a knurled thumbscrew on the cross feed. I added a DRO, caliper type tail stock read out, and a taper attachment. I mainly putter, fix stuff around the house. I reproduce parts for old Erector sets which mainly is brass, sheet metal and some stainless. I've turned a fair amount of drill rod to make custom punches and dies too. Not to much that couldn't be done on a 12 x 24 lathe.

Bruce

If I were in your shoes, I would choose the Precision Matthews machine that fit my needs & budget. That is what I did, and it worked very nicely for me. I especially like my DRO.
Mind if I ask which machine you went with?

Mind if I ask which machine you went with?

PM-1030V with factory DRO. I am 100% happy with it, but I wish that I could have afforded to buy a larger machine. I did not have the money.

Back