Beginning hobbyist lathe options-first post!!!

JMhead

Registered
Registered
Guys, been getting my shop in order and now it's time to tool her up. I've been around lathes, mills, etc my entire life but have limited experience actually operating lathes. I understand the tooling side of the hobby can run as deep as your pockets/wife will allow. Strictly looking at the machine for this post. I'm considering the PM 1236T and also the Grizzly G0750G lathes. I will be turning a few rifle barrels, making farm equipment repairs, and playing in general. I have little expectations in the machine paying for itself. I look at it as a hobby, no more no less. I do however take my hobbies seriously and want to become a capable operator. Any suggestions /input would be appreciated as I "don't know what I don't know" Been lurking here for a few days and took the plunge to join, a wealth of knowledge here that can save a beginner like myself many headaches. Thanks for considering!! Saws, Mills, etc to follow!!

Seems like you’re sold on new...but if I lived in your area...I think I’d check out used equipment dealers. I forget his name but I know there’s a big dealer in Georgia. I see his machines all the time. He’s got some really nice stuff listed quite regularly. Really nice industrial class machines.

I've looked the past month or so mostly on craigslist. I definitely would be interested in a good used lathe or mill, just don't know where to look and kinda skeerd of buying a problem. Also my initial thought is to avoid a 3 phase machine. Maybe I just don't know where to look!!!

a) check with your power company to see if you are even capable of have 3-phase routed to wherever. Many cities are not in a position to deliver 3-phase (Austin being one of those).

b) in lathe terms (and mill terms) bigger and heavier are better--but so is not having a 6 month project before you can use you 40-year old American iron lathe.

c) The PM 1236 and G4003G are pretty comparable lathes.

d) engine hoist is probably needed to place raised lathe (1200 pounds) on stands.

You probably get more bang for your buck looking at the G0776 or G0709. The G0776 is a bit bigger, and includes a DRO for just a little bit more. Both have pullout chip treys which are really nice. The G0709 has a universal gearbox, so fewer change gears. They all get positive reviews, both of these seem to have better chucks and a few other items. If I was in the market for a Chinese mainland lathe I probably would give the nod to the G0709, one of the forum member's BGHansen who has one really likes his lathe. You can lookup his posts.

I looked at the G0750G many years ago and ended up with the 1340GT, for me it was more of a quality and finish issue. I had a Chinese mill previously and some experiences with the G4003G and was not happy with the quality. Tough call, the 1236GT is a very capable lathe, more comparable to the G4003G. Three phase motors on a lathe does produce a better surface finish, but there are a lot of other factors that can also effect this. The larger/heavier lathes seem to have less issues with single phase motors, maybe because of the dampening effect of the mass. On the 1236GT/1340GT I have outlined how to do a basic VFD install which is fairly simple, but still adds $500-600 to the cost. Many of the add-ons, chucks, live centers, QCTP that come with the lathe packages are adequate, but the quality can be lacking. The G0750G, I think I would go up a notch. There is a learning curve, and it is pretty steep when you are starting out. Unless you know what you are looking for with used machines, I suggest you avoid that route unless you want to spend your time repairing and hunting for parts.

Last edited:
Also my initial thought is to avoid a 3 phase machine.

Personally, I would prefer 3 phase. There is much more selection of industrial quality machinery with 3 phase power. It's really not a big deal to power up three phase machinery in a home shop. Many guys here have 3 phase equipment powered with VFD's or RPC's (variable frequency drives or rotary phase converters). Just some food for thought.

Ted

If I were in your shoes, I would choose the Precision Matthews machine that fit my needs & budget. That is what I did, and it worked very nicely for me. I especially like my DRO.

You probably get more bang for your buck looking at the G0776 or G0709. The G0776 is a bit bigger, and includes a DRO for just a little bit more. Both have pullout chip treys which are really nice. The G0709 has a universal gearbox, so fewer change gears. They all get positive reviews, both of these seem to have better chucks and a few other items. If I was in the market for a Chinese mainland lathe I probably would give the nod to the G0709, one of the forum member's BGHansen who has one really likes his lathe. You can lookup his posts.

I looked at the G0750G many years ago and ended up with the 1340GT, for me it was more of a quality and finish issue. I had a Chinese mill previously and some experiences with the G4003G and was not happy with the quality. Tough call, the 1236GT is a very capable lathe, more comparable to the G4003G. Three phase motors on a lathe does produce a better surface finish, but there are a lot of other factors that can also effect this. The larger/heavier lathes seem to have less issues with single phase motors, maybe because of the dampening effect of the mass. On the 1236GT/1340GT I have outlined how to do a basic VFD install which is fairly simple, but still adds $500-600 to the cost. Many of the add-ons, chucks, live centers, QCTP that come with the lathe packages are adequate, but the quality can be lacking. The G0750G, I think I would go up a notch. There is a learning curve, and it is pretty steep when you are starting out. Unless you know what you are looking for with used machines, I suggest you avoid that route unless you want to spend your time repairing and hunting for parts.

As I understand it, the Grizzly lathes both the 4003G and the G0750G are both Chinese whereas the PM1236T is a Taiwanese model. Is the PM1236T a good candidate to change to VFD at a later date or is it an easier install prior to setting it up? I have no doubt that it's a better mousetrap just may need to get up and running and focus immediate purchases on tooling. Having said that I can absorb the extra cost if it makes more sense to go ahead and do it up front. I have a skid steer with forks that will handle over 2500lbs so I'm not overly concerned with lifting, I realize lifting it and mounting it are two different things and see where it could require a little patience. Which machine in the PM or Grizzly lineup would you point me towards if going new? Thanks

If I were in your shoes, I would choose the Precision Matthews machine that fit my needs & budget. That is what I did, and it worked very nicely for me. I especially like my DRO.

Mind if I ask which model you chose/why and what you primarily machine?

Taiwan lathes are better, and cost more. Bigger is better, and cost more!!! I suppose one could solve this problem by buying a big Taiwan lathe but unfortunately I can't justify the $$$ Where is the balance, a Taiwan 1236 or maybe a Chinese 13/14- 40. Not trying to muddy the waters just trying to get opinions from you guys.

Back