Beginner CAD progarm

Same with me. I started using AutoCad in the late 80's on a 286 box. Redraws were so slow I bought a math coprocessor chip (remember those?). Redraws were much much faster but the chip was something like $250.

I think it was the 386 that had the math coprocessor built-in. I updated to that when I could afford it.

I still use Autocad frequently, but the light version. It does everything I need and it's a lot cheaper than the full version, but still kinda pricey. Need to learn the 3D Inventor side now.

LOL: It was the 486 that had a built-in processor. It was the 87 (for the 8086 and 8088), 287 and 387 prior to that. I went through the upgrade path on all those crazy things back in their day. Now, I'm finally smart enough to stay off the bleeding edge... Seems Moore's law is slowing down -at least in the commercial space. RAM recently got a little fast but, the mainstay processors are have been i3, i5 and i7 for several years now.

And getting back on track here, my laptop has an i5 @ 2.6 GHz, a dedicated graphics card and 16 GB of RAM. It runs all the CAD, QuickBooks, CAM Simulators and general Office applications simultaneously without skipping a beat. It's a laptop workstation -not notebook. -My life depends on this machine. I have another machine just in case and I do offline backups every other day.

Ray

I agree that Delta Cad is the best for 2 dimensional drawing. I have been using it for about 15 years. They always answer emailed questions quickly and there is a built in book with the software. I taught myself to use the program in one weekend. The price is GREAT !!!

Bob

I use DeltaCad and find it to be a great simple 2 dimension program. It's fairly easy to use, and priced right @ $40. I believe it is capable of much more than I use it for. For me I use it to draw up just about any new project I'm going to be doing. Many times I use the "Dimension" aspect of the program just to check out the possibilities or limitations of a project I am thinking about doing.

I've used it quite a long time now and just recently bought the 8.0 version for my new laptop, and have had no issues running on my computer.
I did try Sketch but I couldn't figure out how to do the basics much less a dimensioned object. I'm sure it works great for someone with the patience to get through the learning curve, just not me.
LaVern

I have been using a freeware program called A9CAD for my drafting needs. It does the basics for 2D drawings. A few days ago I decided to get going on my bike light project again and started a new drawing for one of the parts. It is a cover which has radiused edges and corners. The way I've been handling the radii is to draw them in as arcs. It works, but it takes a lot of time because it's very easy to make a mistake. The arc center has to be offset the correct amount from each edge, and the beginning and end angles for the radius are different at each corner.

There's a feature called "fillets" in the program. I'm not sure if it would replace what I've been doing. Probably I will never find out. As with a number of other issues, the help system covered the topic at a very basic level. My efforts to follow along did not succeed. A web search didn't produce much help either. Possibly this part of the program doesn't function correctly, but there's no way to find out.

This is the fundamental problem I keep running into: the program seems to have all the parts I should need to do an acceptable job, but the instructions at times are opaque, and the online help just doesn't go into enough detail for me to sort out what I'm doing wrong. There do not appear to be enough users posting on-line to make support through the internet useful.

I decided to invest some time and effort into something with more support. I downloaded a demo of Cubify. It may or may not end up being the right program for me. I'm not sure I need to draw 3d and I'm far from being able to draw anything useful. My initial attempt to just click on the things that seemed to be what I wanted went nowhere fast.

But, now that I've decided I need to work through at least the initial parts of the included tutorial, I feel like I'm making progress. Terms that are not clear can be searched for, giving links that I can read to straighten out what the meaning is in the context of the program. For instance "coincident" in this program has to do with causing the end point of a line or center of a circle to snap to a point in a grid. It has nothing to do with the usual meaning of connected circumstance. Fast and intuitive? Not for me, but I'll take progress even if it's not fast.

I'm not posting this to discourage anyone from using simpler or less expensive software for their hobby needs. However, my initial impression is that the documentation and support for a paid CAD program may be a good investment if your time is worth anything.

Walt

Thank You to Ray C for showing me the road.
I am buying Cubify Design.
Easy on my brain and wallet.

Thank You to Ray C for showing me the road.
I am buying Cubify Design.
Easy on my brain and wallet.

I'm very glad you found a program that you're (seemingly) comfortable with. Did you try the demo program and go through some of the tutorials? It seems the big companies prefer to sell training classes that cost thousands of dollars -and this company was smart enough to make affordable tutorials available to "the common man". -It was a genius move on their part.

Anyhow, knowing CAD opens all kinds of doors and possibilities. It really improved my efficiency when actually making the parts in the shop.

Good luck and let me know if you get stuck along the line (it will happen) and maybe I can help. Hint: The built-in help guide and tutorials cover virtually everything you'll ever need to know. Also, make an account here http://forum.alibre.com/ and you'll get plenty of help. It's a friendly forum like this place. -No flaming allowed, well managed. My login there is also "Ray C" but I'm only there once or twice a week to learn new tricks.

Ray

I use TurboCad. I started on it with version 7, I'm on 16 Pro now. I'll probably update to 18 0r 19 next year. It's been a long time since I got started, but if memory serves me, it was fairly hard to learn. It's not what I would call a cheap program, but not expensive either. I think you can usualy get the 3 versions old one for 250 or so. I got the CAM plugin when I got the last update, and that has worked out pretty well for me. I can't compare it to any other CAM packages, because it's the only one I have used.

I just wanted to jump back on this to Thank everyone for your comments and suggestions. Ray C I think i have settled on Cubify Design as well. I am just waiting for my new computer at work to get online. I really had a good laugh at the posts about 386 and 486 computers because my first computer was an Apple II e that had (if you can believe we needed that much disc space) TWO 64K 5 1/4" floppy drives!!! We had a custom program to do billing and estimating with just 128 K of disc space. The next machine was an IBM clone PC AT(I think they were the 286 IIRC) with a ginormous 10MG hard drive. What would you ever use all that hard drive space for! You guys gave me a good trip down memory lane and I am ONLY 52.

I really had a good laugh at the posts about 386 and 486 computers because my first computer was an Apple II e that had (if you can believe we needed that much disc space) TWO 64K 5 1/4" floppy drives!!!
Ok, it's only fair to warn you that I'm a 52 year old techie that's been working with this stuff since before the TRS-80! Don't get me started on those "old days" stories, I have a hard time stopping. LOL

Ok, it's only fair to warn you that I'm a 52 year old techie that's been working with this stuff since before the TRS-80! Don't get me started on those "old days" stories, I have a hard time stopping. LOL

I'm only a few years older and I started to write a reply about my first processor to do voice sampling and Nyquist-Shannon processing... I'll only mention, it was a 6 bit machine that only had add, subtract and about 10 other operations -and it was only programmable in machine code. -Man was I happy when that project was over! -Thought I died and went to heaven when the Motorola 6800 (not 68000) came out...

Hard Drives? LOL... They were the size of a washing machine... Man, am I glad that's over and done with.

Ray

Back