Beginner CAD progarm

Re: Beginner CCAD progarm

I just took a look at the trial version of Cubify Design, and it's just like the version of Solidworks I used to use without the $6000 price tag. This is perfect! Even the file name are the same, so my old drawings work with it. I can't tell if it's a true parametric CAD but at $199 this looks like a steal to me. Thanks Ray!

Yes, it's true parametric. -And yes, very similar to Solidworks! It only took me a few days of poking around when I had to use someones SWX package.

Ray

One thing is for sure, CAD is an extremely powerful tool to have in the toolbox. I got a degree in engineering drafting and design. I was based around autocad. Back then it was version R-12. Not 2012....that's how long ago it was. While taking classes there was another one available called CadKey. I took it just because and it paid off big. The first job I got after finally finishing my degree used CadKey. I don't know if it's around anymore or not. The version that company used at that time ran under dos and was pretty much a 2D program. There was an add on they bought called Mesh that helped with surfacing but it's was more like faking it than doing it compared to autocad.

I'm no current in autocad 2013. The solid modeling ability is amazing. It's SOOOOOO much easier than with R-15 came out which was the first 3D/solid modeling attempt. I got an award for the highest GPA in the entire program but nearly failed the R-15 class. It was very hard.

Unfortunately autocad is very expensive unless you're in school somewhere. You can get a student version for somewhere around 200 bucks. I was lucky because the college in texas I attended provided it for free. They don't update their records often it would appear. They still think I'm a student 3 years later. I can still download free versions.

As for ease of learning, autocad it probably one of the harder ones to teach yourself. If you're already good at cad and have a number of years in the field like me you could probably teach yourself about any cad program out there given enough time and patience. But from scratch...that would be tough. Even a few versions removed I lost out on a job I applied for. They change things often so that you have to buy and or train more often.

Depending on what you do, I don't know if you need it or not. If you're doing a lot of work then yes, you'll definatly benifeit from it. If you're just drawing up stuff for yourself to make as a hobby, I'd stick with free programs that are very basic.

If you're trying to get into it for the CNC end...now we're getting complicated. You have to have a relativly high end software for it to translate to a CNC program. And then you have to buy and learn the CNC program.

With the later versions of autocad, if you draw it in 3-D, it pretty much will translate directly into any quality CNC program. I'm not sure if there's any way to convert an autocad file directly to a CNC code that your machine will read. Maybe someone else knows more about that and can answer it.

I love to draw. I'd go back into the design biz in a minute if the economy every bounced back. At this point it's not looking good. Every year that goes by is another year I've gone without working in the field. I'll be 48 in june. It's started to get "late in the game".

Good luck,

Wayne

One thing is for sure, CAD is an extremely powerful tool to have in the toolbox. I got a degree in engineering drafting and design. I was based around autocad. Back then it was version R-12. Not 2012....that's how long ago it was. While taking classes there was another one available called CadKey. I took it just because and it paid off big. The first job I got after finally finishing my degree used CadKey. I don't know if it's around anymore or not. The version that company used at that time ran under dos and was pretty much a 2D program. There was an add on they bought called Mesh that helped with surfacing but it's was more like faking it than doing it compared to autocad.

I'm no current in autocad 2013. The solid modeling ability is amazing. It's SOOOOOO much easier than with R-15 came out which was the first 3D/solid modeling attempt. I got an award for the highest GPA in the entire program but nearly failed the R-15 class. It was very hard.

Unfortunately autocad is very expensive unless you're in school somewhere. You can get a student version for somewhere around 200 bucks. I was lucky because the college in texas I attended provided it for free. They don't update their records often it would appear. They still think I'm a student 3 years later. I can still download free versions.

As for ease of learning, autocad it probably one of the harder ones to teach yourself. If you're already good at cad and have a number of years in the field like me you could probably teach yourself about any cad program out there given enough time and patience. But from scratch...that would be tough. Even a few versions removed I lost out on a job I applied for. They change things often so that you have to buy and or train more often.

Depending on what you do, I don't know if you need it or not. If you're doing a lot of work then yes, you'll definatly benifeit from it. If you're just drawing up stuff for yourself to make as a hobby, I'd stick with free programs that are very basic.

If you're trying to get into it for the CNC end...now we're getting complicated. You have to have a relativly high end software for it to translate to a CNC program. And then you have to buy and learn the CNC program.

With the later versions of autocad, if you draw it in 3-D, it pretty much will translate directly into any quality CNC program. I'm not sure if there's any way to convert an autocad file directly to a CNC code that your machine will read. Maybe someone else knows more about that and can answer it.

I love to draw. I'd go back into the design biz in a minute if the economy every bounced back. At this point it's not looking good. Every year that goes by is another year I've gone without working in the field. I'll be 48 in june. It's started to get "late in the game".

Good luck,

Wayne
We're about the same age, i just had my 49th birthday. I had autoCad back in 1984 ish. I was running it on a an Intel 286 processor in DOS. It would take 20 minutes to redraw..:lmao: The 386 processors were just coming out, but there was no way I could afford one of those when they first came out. A 386 machine was selling for somewhere around $2000 back then. I still remember a lot of dos commands and I can still get around in root directories pretty well with a command prompt. We're gettin old my brother!!:))

Marcel

We're about the same age, i just had my 49th birthday. I had autoCad back in 1984 ish. I was running it on a an Intel 286 processor in DOS. It would take 20 minutes to redraw..:lmao: The 386 processors were just coming out, but there was no way I could afford one of those when they first came out. A 386 machine was selling for somewhere around $2000 back then. I still remember a lot of dos commands and I can still get around in root directories pretty well with a command prompt. We're gettin old my brother!!:))

Marcel

Marcel,

How you coming along with the Geomagic; still studying/practicing with the tutorials?

Ray

had autoCad back in 1984 ish...It would take 20 minutes to redraw..:lmao:
I have a neighbor who is a mechanical engineer. Up until last year, his company was using computers that were so insufficient for their needs that he was waiting over an hour to redraw in ProE. How can you get anything done like that? LOL

Marcel,

How you coming along with the Geomagic; still studying/practicing with the tutorials?

Ray
I had to give it a little rest. I've been working and shoveling snow. I'll be back at it soon enough. I'm gonna stick with this one. It's probably the first cad that I've used where I can actually draw a box without referring to the manual...:whistle: . That's a slight exageration, but I'm diggin it.:))

Has anyone used Delta Cad? I would only use it for simple drawings. Usually I just scratch out something on scratch paper. I am not totally computer inept but at 75 I don't have enough time left to learn anything too complicated! :>)

I use DeltaCad and find it to be a great simple 2 dimension program. It's fairly easy to use, and priced right @ $40. I believe it is capable of much more than I use it for. For me I use it to draw up just about any new project I'm going to be doing. Many times I use the "Dimension" aspect of the program just to check out the possibilities or limitations of a project I am thinking about doing.

I've used it quite a long time now and just recently bought the 8.0 version for my new laptop, and have had no issues running on my computer.
I did try Sketch but I couldn't figure out how to do the basics much less a dimensioned object. I'm sure it works great for someone with the patience to get through the learning curve, just not me.
LaVern

Marcel, yea that's hilarious! We were using 486s in class. Even they were very slow for redraws. Pretty regularly someone would instead of hitting L for line they'd hit R then enter then yell "DAMNIT"! LOL. The further autocad came along with ability the further behind the hardware would be. That was right around the time the pentiums were coming out and of course they got them but very few at home or in the industry were interested in the big money expense...AGAIN after just upgrading a year prior. For a few years there there was a new processor that was going to put the previous to shame. And maybe they did, but that's only because the previous version was a shame. The first pentiums were a joke. Pentium 60 or 66 maybe? Needless to say then came the 90 and so on and so forth. My first real maching was a 486 DX4 100 megahertz. It was far faster than the pentium 60 I saw no difference between it and the 90.

Where it really got back was when they started running Acad under windows. Well, actually I should say that's when it went from bad to worse.

Fortunately for me when I got done with cad classes I was working in the field using programs other than autocad. My first job that I did drafting I used a 486 machine and ran sign programs, art programs and there was a cad program. Drafix cad pro. Don't worry, you've never heard of it, I think we were their third and last customer before going bankrupt. LOL. The girl that was doing the engineering was so far in over her head she just never recovered. And the boss didn't like her because she would be in her car at 5:01 every day. One day she left and the boss asked me if I wanted to be a draftsman. He somehow didn't even know I was taking cad classes. The funny part about that was that they were only offered durring the day. I was gone for 3 hours three time a week, still getting my work caught up so he never even noticed! LOL This poor girl never left her desk till quitting time and never caught up. I tool the promotion and quickly found out why. She just didn't undertand the program. She managed to draw an awning, which was what we built there, and printed it. So what the fabricators would get was a generic picture of an awing with numbers written on it. She couldn't figure how how to draw to scale and dimension. This was a degeed engineer mind you. And not my little pittily azzed associates degree. She had a bachlers. Anyway we were learning detailing in class and I knew enough about design to be able to fake it so I just started designing the entire awning system, often they would go all the way around the building, every inside and outside turn, knotch out for downspouts...everything and then I'd detail each section. Then I went one step further and made him a cut list. Of course it was just a bill of material but he didn't know what that was so, he got a cut list. Everyone was so amazed! The poor guy went from standing there scratching his head feeding the calculator for two hours before the first piece of steel was cut. The second day I took the job he was cutting steel ten minutes after I handed him the job. Needless to say the boss DID notice that one and I became the chief engineer. Then the artist quit. I coudln't draw freehand to save my life. But I knew the program well enough that I thought I could fake it. Sure enough, the boss walked in and said, "well Wayne, here's you new hat". The rotton sob was empty handed. He didn't even bother to get a hat made that said "Artist" on it! That was the best no paying job I ever head. I delt directly with customers, with the county office to pull permits...that was funny they were all old hippies that didn't want any signs. I did the purchasing for the entire facility and managed my people. And get this, less than two years before that I walked in the door and took a job as.....wait for it....janitor. Yep, I started cleaning the toilets and sweeping the floor. Talk about starting from the ground up! Loved that job, hated the old boss that sold the place to this guy. The old boy had a trick up his sleeve. and was able to steal the company back out from under them after a couple years of legal battles. I saw it twice. The last time I saw it happened it grabbed my calculator and pen and left the building. That was that. Pretty sad.

I've got a lot of interesting stories like that, we should start a thread about drafting/engineering jobs we've had. I worked in the field for over 7 years when the economy took a dump all over us. But I've worked for a whole lot of companies. They wouldn't keep us busy. All of a suddent, sorry, you're laid off. I'd say "no I'm not. You just fired me. You weren't paying me enough to make it on unenjoyment. I'll be dropping off resumes tomorrow unless you can find something for me to do?" None every had the forsight to see that coming. The new guy can't make it on unemp so I guess we'd better keep something for him to do or we're going to have to hire someone else all over again AGAIN! But it would happend all the time. I'd say, "layoff" No thank you, bye now". LOL

Last edited:
I had autoCad back in 1984 ish. I was running it on a an Intel 286 processor in DOS. It would take 20 minutes to redraw..:lmao: The 386 processors were just coming out, but there was no way I could afford one of those when they first came out. A 386 machine was selling for somewhere around $2000 back then. I still remember a lot of dos commands and I can still get around in root directories pretty well with a command prompt.

Marcel

Same with me. I started using AutoCad in the late 80's on a 286 box. Redraws were so slow I bought a math coprocessor chip (remember those?). Redraws were much much faster but the chip was something like $250.

I think it was the 386 that had the math coprocessor built-in. I updated to that when I could afford it.

I still use Autocad frequently, but the light version. It does everything I need and it's a lot cheaper than the full version, but still kinda pricey. Need to learn the 3D Inventor side now.

Back