Beginner CAD progarm

Huge grain.....

You can take my little endorsement as no endorsement though, I haven't really gotten into it all that much yet, but, It's definitely worth a shot.

Marcel

EDIT: Another thing. Get into the free trials before you buy anything. Find what you like and make sure it's available reasonably for the entry level package before you get used to it. I was just looking at the packages that Ray linked to above. The user interface is pretty similar in the lower packages as it is in the upgraded packages from the same maker, which is a huge plus. You don't want to relearn everything over again, should you have to get more powerful features.

Absolutely dead-on Marcel... Try the free downloads and make sure you have time in your life to devote to sitting down and giving it an honest try. Also, all of the free program trials usually give you the full-blown version. Call the sales channel for the vendor and ask them to set the license only to work for the version you can afford to buy, so you don't fall in love with features you stand no chance of paying for.

And BTW: I have no vested interest in Geomagic... In the case of Geomagic, I "sampled" the various versions for several weeks each. They knew I was a serious buyer and they extended the 30 days for me so I could finish my analysis.

I am doing the same thing right now with CAM software...

Ray

Here's a link to a web site reviewing a number of different CAD software packages.

http://cad-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Grain of salt: The people reviewing the programs are software reviewers, not machinists.

Walt
Here's another thing to consider. I used to work for a software company that created several fake review sites for their particular type of software (just like this one is specialized). They were full of completely made up reviews and endorsements from users all cushing about how great the product was. The owner bragged to me about how even the WHOIS registry has a fake name as the owner. One of the reasons I don't work there anymore too.

I figure if one guy is doing it, there's more.

I hope I didn't miss this above, but another thing that is worth considering is your computer/hardware. Not all computers can handle some of the software out there. Some 3d modeling programs have special video card requirements, etc. A high end computer (such as at my work) may run a 3d software fine, but my home computer would choke & puke on it...:whiteflag: Another reason to try before you buy.

I hope I didn't miss this above, but another thing that is worth considering is your computer/hardware. Not all computers can handle some of the software out there. Some 3d modeling programs have special video card requirements, etc. A high end computer (such as at my work) may run a 3d software fine, but my home computer would choke & puke on it...:whiteflag: Another reason to try before you buy.

Oh, how right you are! Try before you buy... As for hardware, you'll want at least an Intel Core i3 or (preferred i5) processor or the equivalent in the AMD line. Technology older than that is really going to struggle. A dedicated graphics card is real nice to have but, for static CAD and CAM stuff, it's not totally necessary. If you're doing complex motion, element analysis or plan to use some of the artistic "sculpting and rendering" programs then yes, you must have a dedicated graphics card. Most laptops do not have a dedicated graphics card. If you have a "workbook class" laptop, it then probably has a dedicated graphics card.

WesPete is absolutely right... try before you buy to make sure it runs on your computer.

Ray

That's a very good point about the hardware, One I didn't think about. because I've been building my own desktops for 20yrs, and I always build them to be cutting edge. I usually don't hit speed/compatability problems on any of my PCs until they get to be about 7-10 yrs old. Then it's time to retire them or give them to the wife for web browsing and build a new one. :))

Has anyone used Delta Cad? I would only use it for simple drawings. Usually I just scratch out something on scratch paper. I am not totally computer inept but at 75 I don't have enough time left to learn anything too complicated! :>)

I have plugged Qcad here before. http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features has a list of features for both the free and the professional version. I uses the free one for a couple of years, but then I finally broke down and bought the pro version. It is a fairly simple 2D program that feels mostly like pen and paper. The Pro version runs about $45 for just the software or $72.50 with an e-book. I can't say much about the book since I never seemed to need it. One nice thing about qcad is that it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, so whatever way you like to run your computer, it should work ok. It even has a feature that lets you contruct an iso view from your regular views.

Here is a sample of something I am woking on right now:
lathe_motor_mount.png

lathe_motor_mount.png

After trying other programs i also settled on Q Cad, its easy to use, runs wall in windows .

And if, as Bill comments you dont understand computer speak You will find the book clear and logical, starting with basic understanding of
drawing With lots of Hands on samples to work with.
Also has a add on for CAM with code output.
If I can use it anyone can.

Brian

For 2D I found solid edge 2D for free to be very easy to learn. They have 3D version as we'll but you have to pay for it, although they do offer a free 45 day trial on the 3D.

I was using the 2D at work and then took up the 45 day trial on the 3D. The boss was happy with what I picked up in the 45 days that he paid to get it (about $8K :( ) I have no background in CAD other doing a little Technical Drawing in high school nearly 30 years ago.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The fact that there would be numerous different CAD programs suggested was what was hoped for. I appreciate your different viewpoints and backgrounds. I will be looking at several programs I hadn't even heard of before. The search continues.

Back