Been thinking about this Grizzly DRO for my lathe

I am going to be unpopular with my next statement...

The TouchDro uses a standard commercial device, such as a tablet, phone, etc., for its display. I have pointed out to the developer of TouchDro that you are continuously "charging" the display device. How many cycles will that battery take? What are the fire risks? He points out that there are millions of devices being used every day and they don't start on fire, but that doesn't take into account that most phones for example are only kept for three years. How long do you plan on using the DRO (that's a rhetorical question).
well , with the tablet, you can take it with you. Put your drawings, stl files on it.
then take it to the shop... leave, take it with you.
When it is time to replace it, download the software and install.. ???

well , with the tablet, you can take it with you. Put your drawings, stl files on it.
then take it to the shop... leave, take it with you.
When it is time to replace it, download the software and install.. ???
True Jeff, but how many people don't do what you do and leave it plugged in.

I guess I really don't care but the developer of TouchDro says that these batteries don't start on fire. The crew of UPS flight 6 would argue that point if they were still alive.

I don't have a Touch DRO, I have a Jing Se..
yes, all batteries can catch on fire, ALL.
I leave my laptop plugged in a lot. when I go to sleep it's plugged in to a docking port that charges it.
I don't worry about it. I do worry about my RC batteries.
And now most all laptops have switched from LION to LIPO..

I like the Touch DRO. Plain and simple. I also like that Yuri is here if there is ever a question. I can't get an answer on my DRO.
I do like my DRO, and the scales that came with it. But Yuri's graphical interface of where the drilling of holes on the circle and others was nice.
I certainly liked what I saw.

Anybody have one of these?
I sure would like a DRO for my 15x50 lathe. The price is right.
I would prefer DRO pros with magnetic scales but they are twice the price.
I'm just a hobby guy after all.
What say you??

I made set portable dro .
Most work does need dro on lathe I saves from coolant.
I do use dial indicators on the lathe too and no skipping

The main reasons I use dro on the lathe is for snap ring groves.

Dave

I am going to be unpopular with my next statement...

The TouchDro uses a standard commercial device, such as a tablet, phone, etc., for its display. I have pointed out to the developer of TouchDro that you are continuously "charging" the display device. How many cycles will that battery take? What are the fire risks? He points out that there are millions of devices being used every day and they don't start on fire, but that doesn't take into account that most phones for example are only kept for three years. How long do you plan on using the DRO (that's a rhetorical question).

My iPhone 8 is easily six years old and my iPad Pro (which I use for music) is older. I’ve never had a battery issue with the iPad but I did replace the battery once in the iPhone. The iPhone at least gets a full charge-discharge cycle daily.

It’s a good point, though. The value of Touch DRO is that one would have the tablet anyway, maybe preventing one from discarding a recently replaced unit. And I see lots of Android tablets for under a hundred bucks, and as long as the replacements are available the plan works. But maybe ten years from now it proves unsustainable because Yuriy has moved on and the operating systems become no longer compatible. Batteries indeed have a finite life, ans so does software in general-purpose devices.

Rick “also pondering a lathe DRO” Denney

I'm using a Firetablet, no pun intended, with my TouchDRO. I'll plug in a charge device to it, but won't leave it charging all the time. I'm not worried.

I received the kit.
Finished the cross slide today, it took me three days but it came out perfect in the end.
. I was playing with the accuracy of the DRO compared to the compound screw. .200” on the dial comes up to .2005”. I’m very happy with that.
The back of the bed has a nice flat 7 degree space for mounting the saddle scale.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 15
Your install looks nice and tidy. Well done. The mounting plate for the sensor looks really solid, as do the angle plates for the long scale. Keep going...

Back