Been thinking about this Grizzly DRO for my lathe

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Anybody have one of these?
I sure would like a DRO for my 15x50 lathe. The price is right.
I would prefer DRO pros with magnetic scales but they are twice the price.
I'm just a hobby guy after all.
What say you??

I don't have experience with that unit, but noticed in the description that both scales are 5 micrometer resolution. That is fine for the Z axis, but that will limit you to a resolution of 0.0004" on the diameter. If that is good enough for you, then this unit should work. Most people opt for the 1 micrometer resolution scales for the X axis so you get enough resolution on that axis to turn to 0.0001" on the diameter. You also might want a slim scale on the X axis so that it doesn't interfere with the tail stock as much as the standard size ones. It doesn't mention that in the description, so I would assume both are full size.

Another option in the same price range is the Ditron D80, I bought one last year for my mill off of Ebay, and moved the Sino I had on my mill to the lathe. I had to buy new scales for the lathe and got them from Ebay too. Both transactions went smoothly and the equipment arrived in great shape. There is an advantage to buying from Grizzy, it's easily returned if you have problems with it, and you should be able to get warranty parts, but my Ebay experiences have been good. If anything goes wrong, I might be SOL, but for the price I can buy a second unit compared to the costs from the resellers in the States.

I installed a Grizzly 3 axis DRO on my mill 20 years ago. It has been running continuously every since without a problem. I installed a second one 14 years ago on a mill at work and we had no issues with it. It isn't the same as the model above but appears very similar functionally. Mine has the Easson type glass scales. I wasn't able to determine what type of scales the above uses but all of the scales that Grizzly sells appear to be glass.

The illustrated Dro is 3-axis vs 2-axis in the description. But the similar 3 axis on my Grizzly mill has been trouble free.

Not sure what that is.
It a feature-rich DRO made by Yuriy (commercial member here)
Uses an Android tablet for the display and his adapter unit. The scales connect to the adapter and the tablet connects to the adpter via Bluetooth. So no cables up to the display. Makes for a tidy install.
You buy scales from your vendor of choice, the adapter from Yuriy's store ( https://www.touchdro.com/ ) install the TouchDRO app onto your tablet from the Google Playstore and you're set.
I have it on my mill and will soon have it on the lathe.
It is simply fantastic and is head and shoulder (in my opinion) about a traditional DRO.

Back