Been thinking about this Grizzly DRO for my lathe

I bought one of Yuriy's units to go with my lathe. I'm a rank DRO beginner, and haven't gotten the machine all sorted yet, but I'm super excited to support the grassroots effort. For scales, I bought a small magnetic unit from Ditron via AliExpress, and a long glass unit from DROpros, via ebay, when they were blowing them out. Both were quite cheap.

It a feature-rich DRO made by Yuriy (commercial member here)
Uses an Android tablet for the display and his adapter unit. The scales connect to the adapter and the tablet connects to the adpter via Bluetooth. So no cables up to the display. Makes for a tidy install.
You buy scales from your vendor of choice, the adapter from Yuriy's store ( https://www.touchdro.com/ ) install the TouchDRO app onto your tablet from the Google Playstore and you're set.
I have it on my mill and will soon have it on the lathe.
It is simply fantastic and is head and shoulders (in my opinion) above a traditional DRO.
I’ll check it out
Thanks

Love my Newall, I’ve installed 2 DP700 systems on a mill and a lathe. So easy. Also have older Accurite and Hiedenhain. Also very good. Not cheap for sure, but no problems and no doubt they will last longer than I will.

Why would anybody want to calculate "shrinkage"?

View attachment 477415

Lots of choices, half the price.

6 years in, my sub $200 dro is working perfectly.
I’m having trouble trying to identify the item I need. The length of scales doesn’t seem to be clearly defined. The link you sent did not compute.
I can see however that there are cheap options for these Sino DRO’s.

Love my Newall, I’ve installed 2 DP700 systems on a mill and a lathe. So easy. Also have older Accurite and Hiedenhain. Also very good. Not cheap for sure, but no problems and no doubt they will last longer than I will.
When I was working I would have bought a $1,200 set but not anymore!!!
I’m learning to be cheap.

I agree with Mr.Whoopee. Go the AliExpress route unless you have money to burn. They are all made in China anyhow. I had one on my PM833T for five years with no issues. I could buy three of them with Grizzly pricing.

I am going to be unpopular with my next statement...

The TouchDro uses a standard commercial device, such as a tablet, phone, etc., for its display. I have pointed out to the developer of TouchDro that you are continuously "charging" the display device. How many cycles will that battery take? What are the fire risks? He points out that there are millions of devices being used every day and they don't start on fire, but that doesn't take into account that most phones for example are only kept for three years. How long do you plan on using the DRO (that's a rhetorical question).

I am going to be unpopular with my next statement...

The TouchDro uses a standard commercial device, such as a tablet, phone, etc., for its display. I have pointed out to the developer of TouchDro that you are continuously "charging" the display device. How many cycles will that battery take? What are the fire risks? He points out that there are millions of devices being used every day, but that doesn't take into account that most phones for example are only kept for three years. How long do you plan on using the DRO (that's a rhetorical question).
I unplug mine when I leave the shop.

Thanks guys.
I ordered the Sino product.
Unfortunately rather than getting the free shipping from Grizzly, I paid way too much for shipping before I realized what I did.
Oh well, I still saved some money. It’s probably the same Chinese product anyway.
But hey, I have a DRO for my lathe. That’s sweet

Back