Been thinking about a new car

Well, being a Ford guy you might find this appealing. Starts a 500K, and not much for carrying the family around, but after five minutes on a nice mountain road you just might forget you had a family. As to what the wife might say, we won't go there, although we actually considered buying one as an investment/occasional driver. ;) Mike

I would love one of those. When we had car shows in Flemington there would be occasionally one or sometimes 3. The first time I saw one in person, I was so impressed with it. More impressed than a Ferrari.

Well, being a Ford guy you might find this appealing. Starts a 500K, and not much for carrying the family around, but after five minutes on a nice mountain road you just might forget you had a family. As to what the wife might say, we won't go there, although we actually considered buying one as an investment/occasional driver. ;) Mike

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...?crop=1.00xw:0.844xh;0,0.0312xh&resize=1200:*

Yeah. I've got a neighbor who makes a living in buying and reselling vintage sports cars. $$$$ They were unloading a 4 of them in front of my house last year. Two Shelbys in the lot. One of the other cars did not have working brakes, so the truck driver just sort of eased it out of the truck box holding his breath. I think the neighbor likes to drive them a bit too. Cool... Maybe I could tie the 4x8 sheets of drywall/plywood to the air foil and get a little more downward force while still hauling the building materials!

man I loved my Honda accord LXI 87.. except the brakes, undersized in the front.
But that was a great car. I wish they built them like that.. they got big, and not as nice. I would get 33mpg at 80-85mph more than the rating.
The 87 was one of our favorite cars. I wish I had it back.

Best car I ever owned was an early Toyota camry, it was unbreakable, it went on forever.
Worst car I ever owned was a Ford Granada. If you can think of a problem it had it, even the door handles kept breaking.
Purchased a second hand Forrester in 1998 and its still going strong. A few things wearing out but basically still fine.
Our daughter uses it every day.
Purchased the new forrester in 2014 and we love it. The comfiest car I've ever driven. Its also higher up than the previous model which I like.
Other than tyres and the airconditioner thats all thats gone wrong so far.

In 1995 I walked into our Toyota dealership and bought a lease return 1990 Toyota pickup. Two wheel drive, automatic, nothing fancy. I think it had been owned by a contractor as there were a couple of paint spills in the box.
Twenty-nine years and ten months later I walked back into the same dealership, gave them back the keys to the same 1990 pickup, and drove a used Tacoma off the lot. Yes, I like Toyotas too… :)

My wife and I have put 7k miles on our Honda Fit in the 3 years we've owned it. I got 99 problems, but car troubles ain't one of them. I make no payments, I don't even look at the price of gas... No Costco membership, a tiny freezer... guess I'm just unamerican. But hey, I'm in my forties and can retire whenever I want. Must be something to it.

My wife and I have put 7k miles on our Honda Fit in the 3 years we've owned it. I got 99 problems, but car troubles ain't one of them. I make no payments, I don't even look at the price of gas... No Costco membership, a tiny freezer... guess I'm just unamerican. But hey, I'm in my forties and can retire whenever I want. Must be something to it.
1709180430744.png

One data point on Subarus. We just went through 3 years of pain with our Subaru Ascent, 2019. A number of issues including dead, undersized battery $1??, coil springs they forgot to debur and which cut through the rubber grommets $800, replaced CVT transmission under recall (finally after lots of trips to the shop), rear gate that would open on its own (which killed the battery). Strange software choices Eg. If you open the rear hatch, the battery gets 4.6 Amps pulled continuously for several hours. Always carried jumper cables camping.

Maybe they have their game back together now but our experience was not good. Now that it is "fixed" it is running fine. Always liked the car when it worked well.
I'm curious about the 4.6 amps. That sounds like a lot for courtesy lighting. is there something else that gets energized when the rear hatch is open?
Kudos for being tenacious enough to finally get all the shortcomings resolved.

The 4.6A was all car systems, all the computers. They fixed it with a firmware change to turn on only some systems and for only 20 minutes at a time. I do like the car. Still have it.

Back