Been thinking about a new car

I have a 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid truck and have been extremely happy with it. May be an option, 4 door , lots of room, comfortable drive. 1500 lbs. bed capacity, average 45 MPG with my driving mix and habits. Price is still reasonable. They do have a 4 wheel drive all gas with more 4000 lbs. tow.

My folks bought a RAV-4 Prime (plug in hybrid) 2 years ago. It'll go about 40 miles on the battery, even at freeway speeds. After that it gets 40ish mpg.

It's quiet, competent, and AWD (rear axle is electric only). It's also quick. It does the 1/4 just as fast as their '68 Chevelle SS with a big block. Not saying that's sporty or entertaining to drive, but it's a very nice A to B appliance.

They log their mileage, and in the first 10k miles it went through just under 100 gallons of gas. At the time, there were multiple 70 mile trips every week. They put gas in it for the first time this year last week, at 1,300 miles.

As an around town car, it's fantastic and pretty much free to drive. We pay $0.12/kWh and it'll go between 2.5 and 3 miles on a kWh. On battery it's just a few cents per mile. It's somewhat roomy. An adult can fit in the back, but I'm the big guy in my family at 6' 1" and 180# and I wouldn't want to be there for more than an hour.

It's large enough to put a cello in a hard case in the hatch.

If it's large enough for you, it's pretty amazing. Gas was cheap when they bought it and with a tax credit, it came to just over 30k. It's probably closer to 50 now.

Something you might want to consider is a Honda Pilot. We are on our second one, the first lasted 14 years and about 150,000 miles before my son did it in. There is plenty of seating room, you can fit 8, it will be tight, but with smaller kids easily doable. The back seats are comfortable for two adults or three kids, and the third row can fit two small kids. We average 20 mpg in a hilly area with some highway driving with our 2017 Pilot.

As long as you have started this thread, let me ask ....

I have a 2008 F150 which I purchased in 2011. It has an 8 foot bed and has two doors plus the little ~10-12" rear doors for putting a few things behind the drivers and passenger seats. The second doors only opens after the main door is opened. Not enough room for a person so it does not qualify as an extended cab, but I can put a lot of my hand tools in there and they are out of sight. this area probably only adds about 6" to the overall length of the truck. It has only ~45K miles on it, but starting to get some rust, mostly from sitting around and from the previous owner. I like this truck style and I would actually like to buy a new similar truck. I want an 8 foot bed without one of those big fancy extended cabs. However, I cannot find any model from any brand that looks like my truck. They seem to have quit making them long ago as they could make more money on the fancy "sort of a truck". What good is a 4 or 5 foot bed anyway. -- I know you can get an 8 foot bed with an extended cab but the vehicle is so long you can hardly park it anywhere. There are also bottom end 8 foot bed work trucks without this extra storage space.

Does any body know of a brand/model that looks sort of like my 2008? It looks like this...

View attachment 480439
I have Tacoma with ext cab and long bed works great. Will hold 5 plus long bed.
The back seat I use showing bags too. Even last week some one want to buy it

Dave

I think we’re gonna go with a Toyota Rav 4 or a Honda CRV.
Out of these two, I’d go with a RAV4. Both of course, are very good choices. While the new CR-V is slightly bigger than a RAV4 is, the hybrid powertrain on the new RAV4 is just fantastic :encourage:

If I were to buy an SUV right now, I’d go for the Citroën C5 Aircross. A friend got one of these recently and the ride quality blew my mind :disillusion: I think it’s not available in the USA though.

My wants a Subaru Outback
We got an Outback 3 years ago, wife's choice. Kids & grandkids associated trips have really added to the miles. 130K miles. Has required a new battery, tires and a tailgate latch. Handles the slick snow packed streets well. Daughter has a big Toyota SUV that has had more than it's share of electronic issues. Poor warrantee support. Before the Subaru had a string of Hondas but they had a habit of getting totaled.

I'd go with the Rav4 also, but I'm a Toyota fan...

My wife drives a 2017 Rav4... it's a nice car, fairly roomy for it's size, decent mileage, and has been very reliable. She has about 103,000 miles on it.

My daily driver is a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4... in 342,000 miles, I've had to replace one idler pulley (squeaking bearing), front wheel bearings once, and replace the universal joints twice. It is still on the original clutch (6 speed manual transmission).

My family also includes a 2017 Camry, a 2017 Yaris ia, and a 2015 Tacoma Double Cab.

The Yaris, from what I've been able to determine, has a Subaru chassis, Chevy hubs and brakes, Mazda engine and transmission, and Ford engine mounts... it is NOT a well designed car. I've been trying to get my daughter to trade it...

-Bear

I went another way to compliment my 03 3500 4x4 Cummins powered RAM. Bought a model Y Performance. But I like driving it a lot, competent snow car. and 11.9 in the quarter mile is a blast to drive with a full G cornering. Hauls lots of stuff and the stereo rocks.

I like the Jeeps as well we have had a few that racked up over 300K miles with Grand Cherokees had Wagoneers, and Honcho trucks as well. Couldn't quite swing a used Trackhawk, but WoW

Toyota reliability is hard to beat. Lots of skiers around here really like the Subaru's 2 Family members have /has had RAV 4's and they have been Great..

Last edited:
Back