Band Saw Blades-Need your thoughts

Looks like a beautiful shop!!

Many very nice shops are in basements.
Living in California we don't have them unfortunately. I don't know why??

Sure we do, I've lived in several houses with a basement in California.

I think basements fell out of favor in the post WW2 housing boom. All the houses with a basement that I know of (either lived in or friends lived in) were built in the 1940s or earlier. Possibly also tied to that earlier period for technological reasons that no longer applied after the war like ice boxes, coal storage, and a root cellar.

My current house was built in 1910, and the two houses I lived in as a kid had basements, both were built in 1921. My Dad has a basement (I think he is where my basement fetish comes from), his house was built in 1895.

I think after the war, slab foundations took over, and those typically don't include a basement.

Over where you are bulk of the housing popped up after WW2. The county only had 34,000 people in 1930, almost tripled to 82,000 by 1960, and was 211,000 in 2020.

Last edited:
I need some advice and opinions here. My vertical bandsaw uses a 12'2" blade, 1/2", and I'm currently thinking about getting a carbide tipped blade. They're quite expensive, over $250. Should I do this or is this a waste? I cut all kinds of stuff from stainless to plastic and occasionally lop off a stick of wood. The saw (Jet VBS-900) has a very wide range of speeds, so I try to optimize that for the material.

Sure we do, I've lived in several houses with a basement in California.

I think basements fell out of favor in the post WW2 housing boom. All the houses with a basement that I know of (either lived in or friends lived in) were built in the 1940s or earlier. Possibly also tied to that earlier period for technological reasons that no longer applied after the war like ice boxes, coal storage, and a root cellar.

My current house was built in 1910, and the two houses I lived in as a kid had basements, both were built in 1921. My Dad has a basement (I think he is where my basement fetish comes from), his house was built in 1895.

I think after the war, slab foundations took over, and those typically don't include a basement.

Over where you are bulk of the housing popped up after WW2. The county only had 34,000 people in 1930, almost tripled to 82,000 by 1960, and was 211,000 in 2020.
You sure know how to make a guy feel silly :)
Come to think of it, many of these old houses in Chico have small basements.

I for one think all homes should have full basements.

The way they build homes these days, two story with a ten foot back yard, a fifteen foot front yard, no side yard on one side and an access to the backyard to get a wheel barrow through.
On top of that, they charge and get too much money!

The way they build homes these days, two story with a ten foot back yard, a fifteen foot front yard, no side yard on one side and an access to the backyard to get a wheel barrow through.
My self I have 3 brands of the 4x6 .
I use for as portable saw move from work station to work station.
Did have other band saws but they need a forklift to move.

When retired I purchased ond from HF great price work same as first two. It on wheels too. The first two had a lot of use over 35 years.
Great fof hobby work too

Dave

I am very pro basement.

When we were house shopping, the first house we looked at is the one we ended up buying. It needed more work than everything else we looked at, and some were really nice houses, granite counter tops, nice (little) yards. None of them had basements... ;)

It is not a large basement, and the ceiling is only slightly taller than I am, but it is a basement and my wife gave it to me.

After some hard earned lessons when I was young, and renting, the first house I ever bought, I guarded the garage jealously. I wouldn't even allow boxes to be staged there when we were moving in. If it didn't belong in my then nascent shop, it needed to move right on through... Same with the next place, though that was easier since the shop was a detached building. Fast forward a few hundred years and I now make a *little* room for some other stuff - but only because we have a pretty small house (suitable for a couple with no more kids at home) and a small, 1600 sq. ft. garage, suitable for same... ;-) I've allowed a set of "pantry" shelves as well as Christmas storage (it's an 18' ceiling, I built a shelf ~10' up, so it takes up no meaningful space).

Still there's that nagging question of whether I've allowed a toe in the door...

GsT

Ha,
When we bought this house my wife said, you can have the garage. Oh boy, she has learned to regret those words :)
It's mine, all mine!
When we built our current house I thought I did a pretty good job of negotiating for space. When all was said and done I was supposed to get the basement and garage for a total of just under 3100 sq ft

I started out that way but changed dramatically over time. I’m now down to a little over 1600 sq ft in the basement and maybe 300 sq ft in the garage. There’s still enough room for me and the tools but the latest pier decking project is making it tough to move around.

The latest saw I bought will have to spend at least the winter in the garage at the cottage.

Last edited:
When we built our current house I thought I did a pretty good job of negotiating for space. When all was said and done I was supposed to get the basement and garage for a total of just under 3100 sq ft

I started out that way but changed dramatically over time. I’m now down to a little over 1600 sq ft in the basement and maybe 300 sq ft in the garage. There’s still enough room for me and the tools but the latest pier decking project is making it tough to move around.

The latest saw I bought will have to spend at least the winter in the garage at the cottage.
I'm very satisfied with my 400 sq. ft shop.
It's got great lighting, has HVAC, it's my year round Disneyland.

When you did a basement on a level lot here in the Carolina clay, you call it a swimming pool...

Back