Band Saw Blades-Need your thoughts

After experimenting with several brands, I think I get the best performance and value from a Starret bi-metal 10-14 variable pitch blade. That size should work well for your stated material sizes as well.

The place I last bought them appears to be no more (or at least their site is no more) so I'm all ears if you find a good source for them.

GsT

Hey Jeff, the teeth are not usually different sized, they are different tpi. It prevents harmonics.. It also allows different thickness without too much of an issue. Like @Eddyde said, there's not much of a diff. I like both Starrett and Lenox. Also when you get the blade, use mild steel to break it in. Light cuts.. Generally the tips are too sharp and need to be properly broken in. My opinion.
Yeah, I just read about blade brake in. I had forgotten about that

After experimenting with several brands, I think I get the best performance and value from a Starret bi-metal 10-14 variable pitch blade. That size should work well for your stated material sizes as well.

The place I last bought them appears to be no more (or at least their site is no more) so I'm all ears if you find a good source for them.

GsT
Perfect. Thanks

I like Morse blades too- I have Morse, Starrett, Supercut. All good. Morse and Starrett for my 4x6 and Supercut for my little Ryobi 903
that I modified to cut metal
Lenox are great but $$$

Last edited:
When I was in the business, it was Lenox or nothing. Never tried Starrett blades, but opinions seem to indicate they are equal.

I bought the Starrett 3/4” x .035” ,Tennax Pro, Bi-metal.
When you read through the specs on a 10-14 blade it suggests 1/2” to 2” cuts.
We aren’t going to change or stock different blades for 4” stock right? I’m not.
I understand the three tooth rule.
The blade I’ve used for over two years has done it all.
I’m sure my $85 purchase will do the job for the next 2-3 years.

I bought the Starrett 3/4” x .035” ,Tennax Pro, Bi-metal.
When you read through the specs on a 10-14 blade it suggests 1/2” to 2” cuts.
We aren’t going to change or stock different blades for 4” stock right? I’m not.
I understand the three tooth rule.
The blade I’ve used for over two years has done it all.
I’m sure my $85 purchase will do the job for the next 2-3 years.
I do stock a few different TPI blades. It seems in the past I’ve cut such a wide variety of different size materials itself been worth it. In the past few week’s I’ve cut 6” rounds and 4”square stock. I wouldn’t want to try either with a 10/14 blade

I've used Lenox blades in my sawzall for years. For years they made nothing but saw blades. I have no doubt that Starrett's are equal to Lenox because of their fine reputation.

I buy whatever brand name bands are on sale on Amazon, cut them to length and silver solder them. Usually get two, maybe three, bands for my 4x6 out of one. I keep the leftovers and use them to make a frankenband :D

Back