Bad surface finish 6x12 surface grinder spindle disassembly questions

Well, I'm a little late to the party here. My apologies for not posting here sooner, but I just found this post today :p

PXL_20210127_233503823.jpg
As fate would have it, I happened into one of these as well. I believe mine was originally an Emco from the early 80's. I cannot prove that because at some point in it's life it went to a tool wholesaler who cleaned it up and completely de-badged it, including the motor plate (more on that later). Before I dive into the insanity that followed, a quick bit about what I found out about these machines.

First, although I have not found the original design or manufacturer of these machines, there are a *lot of them out there. These got rebranded as a lot of familiar manufacturers. Enco, MSC, Grizzley, Tormach, Phase, Palmgren, Jet, and Dayton. There are probably others. The real model number is "MJ7115". Just google "MJ7115 surface grinder" and you will see what I am talking about. Lots of Alibaba hits to manufacturing plant in China. Basically companies that are trying to hit a price point in their equipment line up will white box these straight from China and then OEM them as their own. Common marketing tactic. The one from Tormach is pretty neat, they added some automatic power feeds to the X and Y axis.

I bought mine off of Craigslist here in norther VA. The guy was asking $500, said it had a bad "magnetic switch". It was in a storage unit, so no "trying it out". I offered $400 and he accepted. Got it home, up on a stand, and then figured out the motor was burned out. Long story short, the guy gave me my money back and and let me keep the machine, probably because he didn't want to move it.

Also making a very long story short, I rewound the motor. That's harder than it sounds when there's no number plate. I will start a thread on this site about that if people are interested. Bottom line, these things are hard to get parts for. The motor is a purpose built motor, so unless you can get one from the factory, there is not other replacement. Grizzley *does have one, but they would not send a picture. So, $120-ish (and three tries) later and I have a re-wound motor.

PXL_20210124_201645249.jpg
In that process, obviously, I had to disassemble the bearings. As you discovered, there are two in the nose bell housing and a single 6000 series double shielded bearing in the end bell housing. It's interesting that your's came with 6206 deep grove sealed bearings. Mine did not. Mine came with open (not shielded or sealed) 7206 40 degree angular contact bearings (with no ABEC ratings). I did not take a picture of the markings, but my recollection is that they are FAG 7206B made in Germany and have an eccentricity mark. The 6000 series was made in Japan (I can't remember the exact number, but the machine has 3 or 4 of them, all the same. Given that I was not able to find a precision rating, let alone an ABEC rating, I'll be replacing the bearings no matter what. There is no safe way to remove these bearings without putting pressure on the raceways through the balls. When I reassembled the motor, I over packed the hell out of the bearings. I really didn't care at the time as I was most interested in seeing if I rewound the motor correctly or it was going to catch fire. Started out with an isolation transformer with variac, but eventually I had to flip the switch. Turns out I wound it correctly. So I threw it back on the machine and started grinding using my rusty magnetic chuck.

Before I get into that, a Word on the machine I picked up. I have no idea how good the quality is on these machines now, but mine, from the 80's, is all over the place. Well made expensive components throughout: bearings, fastener are well made and mostly (but not all) English thread, Mag chuck is made in England, actual brass nuts on the hand-machined T-bolts for the cast aluminum clamps, hand scraped ways. Well designed features are found all over too: gibbed ways, compensating lugs for the lead screws made of what appears to be real copper, motor starter (for all the good that did), dual voltage motor, z-axis counterweight with a crazy cable and pulley contraption. Actually, that last one... terrible design. I will be redesigning it. And then there are the really rough castings. The slot in each gibb that was obviously cut by hand with a angle grinder. Hand scraped ways, but no flaking, that would be expensive. Flaking on top of the table where nothing will ever touch it, but no hand scraping there. Precision surfaces that were hit with an angle grinder and then machined. All in all, precision and high-end components where it needs it, poor execution of a good design elsewhere. But generally good bones.

PXL_20210125_045659463.jpg

PXL_20210125_045705624.jpg
So, surprise surprise, it worked. Ground a hardened washer to withing 5 tenths on the first go. Bad surface finish though.... Hmmmmmm.... Could be spindle bearings. Could be an inappropriate grinding wheel. Could be a poorly dressed wheel. Could be my nearly non-existent technique. Could be all the above. So I ground a couple more pieces, watched a few videos, dressed the wheel properly, and then ground a few more pieces.

PXL_20210127_233155947.PORTRAIT.jpg
Manages to get a T-nut to be 2 tenths of parallel. Still a bit of pattern if you hold it in the light right, but way better.

PXL_20210127_233134755.PORTRAIT.jpg
Also ground a 3/32 drill bit to .0520 flat, within 1/2 a tenth end to end over 2". The spindle bearings are generating heat from being over packed, but not excessive. Measured the run-out on the spindle shaft at less than a tenth, after taking the motor all the way apart and putting it all back together.

PXL_20210131_220055644.jpg
PXL_20210131_234240941.jpg
Things were working well enough that I feel like I can justify rebuilding it. It is now almost completely disassembled and most everything has been de-greased, de-rusted, and blasted with urea ascetate (plastic) media. I have some MRC (SKF) matched 7206 DS ABEC-5 bearings coming from ebay as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210124_201645249.jpg
    PXL_20210124_201645249.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Also, the seal you put in is pretty cool. Very finicky work. I have to say though, with the motor being a TEFC motor (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled), wouldn't it have been easier to just seal the motor?

Oh, and word to the wise, make sure that centrifugal switch is working on that motor ;)

Before you rip it apart, are the bearings preloaded correctly?

I'd highly recommend watching this video on spindle work:

It's long, but I don't believe there anything comparable available publicly. It might give you some things to look into.
Awesome video, watched the whole thing. Had to stop and rewind several times.

Awesome video, watched the whole thing. Had to stop and rewind several times.
I was hoping someone who had one of these would comment, Thank you.
I did watch the video. A total different level of precision.
My motor does not have a centrifugal switch. The capacitor stays connected. So I assume they value engineered another component. Mine is 1991 production date. And many bad assembly problems when found were corrected.
When I received mine, that counter weight had broken the chain cable. So that was the first repair.
If I had to rewind the motor, I would make it a 3 phase.
My finish has improved, but I'm still seeing 6 tenths of runout. And I still have not gotten a reliable way to balance the wheels.
I reground the top of a used sine bar a few days ago. The finish is much better, but I'm still not liking the ripples.
Looking at your machine and castings, they worked hard at value engineering quality out of this.
Thanks for the history.
In the video, I did a step over of .05", and those parallel lines are obvious. I did break the corners of the dresses wheel, in hopes that would stop the lines from being seen.

Attachments

• 5 inch sine plate regrind2.mp4
    2.2 MB
Also, the seal you put in is pretty cool. Very finicky work. I have to say though, with the motor being a TEFC motor (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled), wouldn't it have been easier to just seal the motor?

Oh, and word to the wise, make sure that centrifugal switch is working on that motor ;)
I didn't trust that there was zero FOD that could be circulating in the motor housing. Especially seeing the poor quality of assembly. But in retrospect, I agree that the seal is probably not needed. I did learn something from ROBRENZ on the preload nut. The ones on the machine that preload the outer and inner race of the bearing pair, were very rough machined. For the inner nut, I made a spacer that I put on the shaft, and then put the nut threaded onto the left hand threads. I machined the face of that square to the preloaded threads. Now that nut was backwards of where it would be on the shaft, but I figured that rough surface needed to have the 'threads' removed. The outer preload nut, I just ran on fine emery sheet wet or dry paper to remove the course machining marks. If I was thinking more, I would have blued it, and looked for a high spot. I still can do that, and because I'm writing about it, I will. Same with the inner nut. I did make custom face pin spanners to remove them, which worked well with reinstall.

Yeah, the "lock nut" part of his video caught my attention as well. When I put the new bearings in I will pay close attention. I do not remember there being anything particularly chunky in there, however it was a free machine I was attempting to rewind a motor for at that point. So I was not looking too hard.

Yeah, the "lock nut" part of his video caught my attention as well. When I put the new bearings in I will pay close attention. I do not remember there being anything particularly chunky in there, however it was a free machine I was attempting to rewind a motor for at that point. So I was not looking too hard.
Did you do the motor rewind yourself? You said something about $120, but was that a new part from Grizzly or a motor shop, or the wire on a spool........

I, personally vote for "electric motor rewinding thread!!!

My grandpa did that, and I got a few of his tools. Here's one on my Magnabend build, just so there's magnet wire visible in this thread ;-)
195703a5247cab9f27540dbc49b15624.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Is a decent induction motor rewind within the reach of an average hobbyist? I've watched a few vids of how motors are actually constructed, with coils being machine wound, placed on an arbor, then pulled into the stator all at once. I can't see how you'd manage to get it packed anywhere near as tight manually? Having tried and failed on small motors myself, I'm curious!

I did it myself. Honestly, it never occurred to me to rewind as three phase. Mostly because I do not have three phase in my shop, which means phase converter, rotary phase converter, or VFD. All of which seemed like overkill for this. But then again, I did not think about the potential implications in surface finish. I'll wait and see how the new bearings do after I put it all back together.

The $120-ish is what I have into copper, nomex paper, varnish, and tools (made a winding machine). The replacement motor from Grizzly is $450 plus shipping, and you really have no idea what you're going to get. It might not even fit. I called around to the few shops that still to motor rewinding locally. The general answer was "it would not make economical sense". For me that boiled down to re-wind it myself or junk it. In terms of what I literally put into the rewind, just the copper, nomex and varnished I used, It's more like $60 and I have a bunch of supplies left over and a winding machine.
PXL_20210116_183155704.jpg

PXL_20210121_003709762.jpg

PXL_20210123_214317727.jpg

Back