Bad motor or spindle bearing going bad?

To update everyone i have a good looking spindle and bearing from what it looks like. I do have a missing tooth on my small back gear though. That kind of sucks as idk what im going to do with that at the moment. I will get some pictures of the spindle bearings and the gear. I am thinking of taking some mineral spirits and flushing the bearings out.

Attachments

• 6D1424C5-A90A-46CE-B7E9-BEAD20156317.jpeg
    6D1424C5-A90A-46CE-B7E9-BEAD20156317.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9D2DF70D-607E-47DE-8ACA-2A7A5A94E565.jpeg
    9D2DF70D-607E-47DE-8ACA-2A7A5A94E565.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 48413C81-71F2-4B00-B3DD-0107028FD1C0.jpeg
    48413C81-71F2-4B00-B3DD-0107028FD1C0.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
  • E3F9B97A-DF71-41F5-9C57-3F3967CED410.jpeg
    E3F9B97A-DF71-41F5-9C57-3F3967CED410.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • 8010ABE7-BD57-4F08-86DE-70A4A513CC6D.jpeg
    8010ABE7-BD57-4F08-86DE-70A4A513CC6D.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6
To update everyone i have a good looking spindle and bearing from what it looks like. I do have a missing tooth on my small back gear though. That kind of sucks as idk what im going to do with that at the moment. I will get some pictures of the spindle bearings and the gear. I am thinking of taking some mineral spirits and flushing the bearings out.
That's great.
How did the felt look?
Did you remove the head off the ways?
If you are going to flush the bearings with mineral spirits , take the head off (2 bolts underneath), flush with mineral spirits off the ways.
turn it over and drain. do it again and drain... (when I say drain I mean turn the head over and let the MS come out of the felt holes)
Or use a tube attached to a large hypodermic needle think horse type)

The felt was black but not hard. Id like to not take the headstock off the bed right now. So i will put something in the holes to drain. Debating on what to do for the bad gear right now. I currently dont have gas for torches to braze material on and dont have gas for the welder. I have a 110 stick welder with some brazing rod i could maybe use. Tonight i will clean up the headstock casting and take the the rest of the stuff that really needs to be cleaned to work.

The felt was black but not hard. Id like to not take the headstock off the bed right now. So i will put something in the holes to drain. Debating on what to do for the bad gear right now. I currently dont have gas for torches to braze material on and dont have gas for the welder. I have a 110 stick welder with some brazing rod i could maybe use. Tonight i will clean up the headstock casting and take the the rest of the stuff that really needs to be cleaned to work.
so in case you are not aware.
You have the felt hole
And right at the edge of the bearing is a little weep hole for the oil go drain back into the head.
That's a pretty small hole.

You can get a gear on fleabay, just turn yours down for a tight slip fit.
See my backgear post.

You have the felt hole
And right at the edge of the bearing is a little weep hole for the oil go drain back into the head.
btw black and not hard means it was probably oiling. If it gets hard or singed it's not oiling.
So your original problem was probably solved by your loosening the spindle nut.... and you didn't have 2 problems.

You have the felt hole

btw black and not hard means it was probably oiling. If it gets hard or singed it's not oiling.
So your original problem was probably solved by your loosening the spindle nut.... and you didn't have 2 problems.
Yea i think it needs a shim. I will find out after i put it back together. I have all 4 clips for the weeps holes and they are all clear.
@Jim F i saw your post for the back gear. It is an option just not sure if i want to go that route yet. I only have this lathe as well.

Yea i think it needs a shim. I will find out after i put it back together. I have all 4 clips for the weeps holes and they are all clear.
@Jim F i saw your post for the back gear. It is an option just not sure if i want to go that route yet. I only have this lathe as well.
I would braze a new tooth on. Or I might even consider JB Weld, but you would have to wait for it to cure really long time before using it.
I find JB Weld really takes a while to cure... not the day that they say. Longer the better. You can machine it in a day, or hand cut the tooth.

I can look and see how bad it is and see what i can do with the braze tmr. Ive never used it.

Back