Bad motor or spindle bearing going bad?

Brento

Registered
Registered
I was drilling into some Aluminum to make some stand offs for my DRO scales. As i was drilling the motor started to bog down and slow down like it was going to stall. Even if i let up. The video i posted still does it without any cutting. I went to the next speed down when i used a parting tool and it didnt do it which is strange as that is a higher cutting pressure? I am not in back gear and the bull pin is engaged to the cone pulley. Im hoping maybe the belt was a little loose as well? It is a new belt so it could be stretching?

View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

I have felt kits to the whole lathe and i havent taken the headstock apart yet. The left bearing was a warmer then the right bearing. I have oil in the cups but i know the right side soaks in much more then the left side.

What's it sound like with a bit less belt tension?

It would help if you disengaged the gearbox to reduce the noise. The rhythmic clunking doesn't sound very good. It seems to stop uncharacteristically fast if its a regular single phase motor like something is binding or heating up and reducing clearances.

I was drilling into some Aluminum to make some stand offs for my DRO scales. As i was drilling the motor started to bog down and slow down like it was going to stall. Even if i let up. The video i posted still does it without any cutting. I went to the next speed down when i used a parting tool and it didnt do it which is strange as that is a higher cutting pressure? I am not in back gear and the bull pin is engaged to the cone pulley. Im hoping maybe the belt was a little loose as well? It is a new belt so it could be stretching?

View attachment 402854

I have felt kits to the whole lathe and i havent taken the headstock apart yet. The left bearing was a warmer then the right bearing. I have oil in the cups but i know the right side soaks in much more then the left side.
When you say you have felts... You've never changed them in the headstock? How many years?

When I took my lathe apart, the felts were incapable of moving oil, they were hard, black and had no wicking capability.
if you haven't done the job, and it's never been done while you owned it, and you don't know when the last time was, IT'S TIME..
I can not stress that when you get a machine, it's a good idea to go over it completely. You get to know it, you know when maint was done.

When you say you have felts... You've never changed them in the headstock? How many years?

When I took my lathe apart, the felts were incapable of moving oil, they were hard, black and had no wicking capability.
if you haven't done the job, and it's never been done while you owned it, and you don't know when the last time was, IT'S TIME..
I can not stress that when you get a machine, it's a good idea to go over it completely. You get to know it, you know when maint was done.
I have been meaning to. Just have not gotten to it. Idk when the felts were done last. I guess i will be doing that next right after i finish the DRO on the mill.

It would help if you disengaged the gearbox to reduce the noise. The rhythmic clunking doesn't sound very good. It seems to stop uncharacteristically fast if its a regular single phase motor like something is binding or heating up and reducing clearances.
How do you disengage the gearbox when you are not using it? The clunking may be the belt lacing as well. One person mentioned to me that my thrust bearing could be to tight and someone else said to take some of the idle gears off and see if the leadscrew moves freely.

I have been meaning to. Just have not gotten to it. Idk when the felts were done last. I guess i will be doing that next right after i finish the DRO on the mill.

How do you disengage the gearbox when you are not using it? The clunking may be the belt lacing as well. One person mentioned to me that my thrust bearing could be to tight and someone else said to take some of the idle gears off and see if the leadscrew moves freely.
you use the reverser. You put it between gears.. its on the left under the side cover.. just find a neutral. I only run my gearbox when I need a feed. if I am free turning or facing it's in neutral.

so btw, I had my headstock lock up... when I rebuilt it I used a teflon lube initially then oil between the spindle and cone pulley for back gear and it was great. But people said no you have to use grease... WRONG!!!!... I greased it and it overheated in back gear. I then tried the super lube after taking it apart. some said that was what you needed. well again it locked up. I took it apart again, cleaned it, and have used oil ever since... no problems...

But I will say I was able to confirm it was the head, because I release the belt and was unable to move the spindle...
is your spindle tight when it stops?

@woodchucker Ok i can take it off so it is in neutral when not being used. I think i will take your advice and do the headstock next. The apron runs good and doesnt lose a lot of oil nor use a lot. Seems to stay in a good condition but i will do the apron and the gear box as i go. If i remove the belt and the headstock is not in back gear i can move it completely fine. My back gear has oil in it. I feared it having grease bc i heard the same stories you heard. And my back gear i pretty full bc i could hardly put any oil in it when i took the screw out. I may even open the screw and suck some oil out.

@woodchucker Ok i can take it off so it is in neutral when not being used. I think i will take your advice and do the headstock next. The apron runs good and doesnt lose a lot of oil nor use a lot. Seems to stay in a good condition but i will do the apron and the gear box as i go. If i remove the belt and the headstock is not in back gear i can move it completely fine. My back gear has oil in it. I feared it having grease bc i heard the same stories you heard. And my back gear i pretty full bc i could hardly put any oil in it when i took the screw out. I may even open the screw and suck some oil out.
I would leave the oil in there.
So your spindle is free after it shuts down, your not locking up?
well then maybe it is the countershaft. Is that able to move when it shuts down? is it tight?

have you been oiling the countershaft?

Back