Bad motor or spindle bearing going bad?

I oil the countershaft every time. I have not check it to see if it is tight or not and i do have a broken oil cup on the one side. Id like to get some gravity fed oilers for the countershaft. Can only do so much at once though right! Lol

I oil the countershaft every time. I have not check it to see if it is tight or not and i do have a broken oil cup on the one side. Id like to get some gravity fed oilers for the countershaft. Can only do so much at once though right! Lol
well just try and figure out where the problem is..
that's the first step.. lets get you running again.

then you can deal with the long term issues.
is the motor free spinning after it locks up..
something is causing the slowing, something is on it's way to a hard lock up. its heating up and expanding and on it's way to seizing.

I may be due for a felt change on the spindle.. did it in 2014.. and it's been used quite a bit. It's really not a bad job.
Your ways look great.. mine was used in production it seems, and they are rough...

You must have an older model closer to mine, because of the head bolts. later models went to socket cap screws I think.

edit: but I see you have a socket head cap on the cross slide to the apron... that doesn't look right... maybe the fillister head screw was replaced, or maybe they went to that..

My ways are worn on the triangular faces but not terrible no. I am not sure what year mine is but id love to know the year. Tmr i will run the lathe and run it until it does that again and check the motor and the countershaft. The motor was cold to touch. I did not check the countershaft. After it did that i ran it after and parted off my part twice and never had the problem. I think i am going to take your advice as i said and tear the headstock apart in the next week and put new felts in and change the thrust bearing to a needle thrust bearing. I have a lot of potential work coming in from a customer and i am assuming a lot of it will be lathe work for motorcycle parts.

I did happen to tighten the belt a little as it is a new belt and i think it still had the issue.

Belts only have to be tightened enough that they don’t slip, anything else is excessive.

do the maintenance required, go from there.

John

Ok so update. I check it again. The lead screw is loose and smooth. I put the lead screw in idle position and it still does it. I ran it until it happened and the check all shafts for mobility and the countershaft motor and spindle seem to be fine. I did not loosen the take up collar yet but someone said to loosen the spindle bolts up top a 1/4 turn when it does it. Bingo it goes back to normal when i loosen the bolt a 1/4 turn. I am guessing that left bearing in the cast is tight or not getting enough oil.

Ok so update. I check it again. The lead screw is loose and smooth. I put the lead screw in idle position and it still does it. I ran it until it happened and the check all shafts for mobility and the countershaft motor and spindle seem to be fine. I did not loosen the take up collar yet but someone said to loosen the spindle bolts up top a 1/4 turn when it does it. Bingo it goes back to normal when i loosen the bolt a 1/4 turn. I am guessing that left bearing in the cast is tight or not getting enough oil.
Sounds like you need to make a shim.. Not hard, the hard part is getting it in there. The way the shims are, they are stuck together and you peel them off.. A nice design. I needed an in between size and made my own. That's a good find... Now is it heat related because its not getting oil, or is it just too tight???

Sounds like you need to make a shim.. Not hard, the hard part is getting it in there. The way the shims are, they are stuck together and you peel them off.. A nice design. I needed an in between size and made my own. That's a good find... Now is it heat related because its not getting oil, or is it just too tight???
Thats is where i am unsure. I feel like i hardly put oil in that cup and the cup on the right just drinks it up. I can make a shim to get put in there but my question is how do you find how much shim you need. I think i am still going to take the headstock apart and service it bc that is one more part on the lathe that has been taken apart and cleaned. I was thinking maybe an extra 3 thou for the shim would be ok?

Follow the "keep your lathe in trim" instructions. Put an indicator on the spindle, stick a stick in the end and pull up. There needs to be between 1-2 thousandths of movement. Shim as necessary to get that clearance.

If you never need to fill up the rear bearings, then the oil probably isn't getting used and you need to clean it out and replace the felt.

Back